Aftermarket Heat Exchanger?

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Any opinions on an Aftermarket heat exchanger and if it is truly worth it or not?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Vmp makes a pretty good heat exhanger with fans. If you have plans to mod the car for more power then its well worth going aftermarket for a heat exhanger.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here are the C&R options, the standard 7" dual fan unit and the Extreme......

010-zpseeb8247c.jpg
012-zps3b03657f.jpg

^^^^These are the options offered from Shelby Perf. Parts.

and the cooling brand that NASCAR uses......

DSCN1741.jpg

R

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I'm always fighting heat on my KB. Right now, I have the VMP dual fans, and it does make a difference -- just not a ton. All in all, under the same conditions (which is tough to do exactly), I estimate about a 10 degree drop in IAT2s over the shitty KB HE that comes in the kit.

Every system is a little different, and it would be hard to say exactly how a HE alone would affect your IAT2s on a stock 13/14GT500. It take some experimenting, unfortunately. I'm going to be changing out to the DOB Super Single HE in April to see how that goes. Will be selling the VMP, which only has a few thousand miles on it.

railroad

Established Member
Unless you do a lot of staging at the drag strip, or waiting to make a pass, I did not see it worth the cost and time.
If my IAT temps move up, while sitting, getting back to moving brings it back down very quickly.
My VMP and fans, just not doing anything the factory did not handle.
Maybe should say, not needed on a street car, IMO.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
One point of interest in this discussion.........The SVT engineers upgraded the H/E and the I/C for 2013 with the TVS (and 662hp), are the 2007-2012 owners who install a TVS on their GT500 (and there are many), missing something if they are not also upsizing one or both parts in the S/C cooling system? <<It is all engineered to work together.....

Also, there is a "somewhat" better fan air flow added through the H/E and radiator with the larger 2013 fan and fan shroud.....

E61-E3-EBB-89-E4-49-C1-8-C29-9-A1-A6212274-D-4520-00000522-AC6-A9618-zpsc6.jpg

D8-AC024-C-BEA2-4000-9781-7-A70497-C8-C74-4520-000005213-ABF9-E76-zps6c.jpg

^^^^another nice add to the earlier cars.

R

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
One point of interest in this discussion.........The SVT engineers upgraded the H/E and the I/C for 2013 with the TVS (and 662hp), are the 2007-2012 owners who install a TVS on their GT500 (and there are many), missing something if they are not also upsizing one or both parts in the S/C cooling system? <<It is all engineered to work together.....

Also, there is a "somewhat" better fan air flow added through the H/E and radiator with the larger 2013 fan and fan shroud.....

View attachment 1620809
View attachment 1620810

^^^^another nice add to the earlier cars.

R

Good point Robert. This is something i still need to add to my 2008. Have you done this mod to yours?

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I actually don't do much drag racing at a track but I do have a 3.2 KB and JDM SS cams. At roughly 15 psi now with a 3.5 pulley, planning on a 3.25 pulley to bring her up to around 17. I think I should be safe. I wanted to install a set of long tubes also, but I may just get an off-road H-pipe instead. Not sure I will need the headers to make the power I am looking to make. Should be close to 800 RWHP I am guessing. Give or take 25 RWHP.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Good point Robert. This is something i still need to add to my 2008. Have you done this mod to yours?

I have all of the parts in hand, which was the expensive part. The Bigun I/C which flows more (and less restrictive flow) than any of the Ford oem I/C's and the two pictures I showed of the Shelby logo'ed H/E's, I own them too. Shelby came out with the Extreme after I bought the regular one, so then I saved some cash and bought the Extreme H/E. Now it is just to make time to start in install. I an currently talking to KB and working on getting a 3.2LC to install in place of the 2.8 (non-LC) that Shelby installed on my car in early 2009 when it went through their shop. I would like to do the Bigun I/C and the 3.2LC all at one time on a spare lower intake that I also have.

My last working day was last Thursday, this week I am on personal days, and next week officially begins my retirement, so once I get things done around the house, I can start to play with the car a little more.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
But it was engineered for a whole lot less boost. More boost = more heat

It was interesting that a KB rep. came on one of our discussions recently and said "Boost = Restriction". Yes more Boost = more Heat.............and from what I understand, less restriction is the best solution for a S/C set-up..........but I am not an engineer.

So it would seem that throwing an even bigger 3.X, 4.X on a oem I/C'ed 5.4 or 5.8 would increase the boost number on the gauge and also increase the heat because none of that is flow spec'ed for that larger blower CFM, and the exhaust, that is the other restriction, especially if it is a 2.50".

................and then also factor in the "compressing of air" which also causes heat.

R

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have all of the parts in hand, which was the expensive part. The Bigun I/C which flows more (and less restrictive flow) than any of the Ford oem I/C's and the two pictures I showed of the Shelby logo'ed H/E's, I own them too. Shelby came out with the Extreme after I bought the regular one, so then I saved some cash and bought the Extreme H/E. Now it is just to make time to start in install. I an currently talking to KB and working on getting a 3.2LC to install in place of the 2.8 (non-LC) that Shelby installed on my car in early 2009 when it went through their shop. I would like to do the Bigun I/C and the 3.2LC all at one time on a spare lower intake that I also have.

My last working day was last Thursday, this week I am on personal days, and next week officially begins my retirement, so once I get things done around the house, I can start to play with the car a little more.

R

Congrats robert. Sounds like you'll be able to get alot done once retired. If you wouldn't mind id be interested in you making a thread when you start your project. Thanks

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Congrats robert. Sounds like you'll be able to get alot done once retired. If you wouldn't mind id be interested in you making a thread when you start your project. Thanks

^^^^Thank You^^^^
Will do........I now have a decent camera for these types of projects. The project/parts pictures I have been taking until recently were with a Nikon CoolPix 995 from 2000, which has taken sooooo many pictures over the years that it is now "run out", an is no longer focusing correctly. <<It is time to "put it down".

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations Robert M on retirement! OP, as Handlebar Moustache post showed, Department of Boost for heat exchanger needs.

Users who are viewing this thread