Aftermarket Headlights Comparable to OEM?

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
So, my driver side headlight is the factory Ford piece, and has some sort of weird scratching/hazing that appears to be on the inside of the lens, as I've tried using a headlight restore kit on it and it didn't affect it. My passenger side headlight is a newer aftermarket headlight that was replaced along with the passenger fender during a small accident before I bought the car. That headlight has begun peeling on the outside of the lens housing, so I need to replace both as it makes my car look like shit. LMR has both left & right Ford OEM headlights for $389 or they have their "SVE" brand aftermarket lights for $129, and i know AM has some aftermarket ones for around the same place; Lethal as well. I would love to stay OEM, but if the aftermarket lights are just as good as the OEM, why not save $260? Are any of the aftermarket headlights out there just as good as OEM, and if so, which one is the better pick? All the reviews of the lights from AM are pretty good, some have had minor condensation issues but I'm not too worried about that. Has anyone bought the "SVE" headlights from LMR and had good results with those too? Also, I can't remember if our factory lights are tinted or just black like the rest of the 01-04 Mustangs??

4601S/C

Established Member
I bought a pair from guy I live close to. He said that he got them from LMR, and that they were not OEM pieces. They say "TYC" on them (no other logos). They seem fine to me. I don't drive my car everyday, but they hold up fine to washing. They fit fine, and look good. As for your other question; Original headlights are identical to the 01-04 Mustangs (Black, not tinted).

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember if mine were stock black or if the 03-04 Cobras came tinted. :rockon:

Tractionless1

Established Member
When you do get new headlights get headlight protection film. My original lights look as good as the day she rolled off the lot. I put film on me wife's '06 Sonata which is daily driven. When they got soiled, pulled them off, and reapplied another set. Lights look showroom new again. Much cheaper than replacing housings and they stay newer looking longer than an unprotected housing does.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
When you do get new headlights get headlight protection film. My original lights look as good as the day she rolled off the lot. I put film on me wife's '06 Sonata which is daily driven. When they got soiled, pulled them off, and reapplied another set. Lights look showroom new again. Much cheaper than replacing housings and they stay newer looking longer than an unprotected housing does.

I followed this guys advice. My car only had 7500 miles on it when I got it and I put protective film on the fog light, head lights, rocker panels, mirrors and rear bumper behind the tires. Its the best money I ever spent.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member

I never thought of that. Is it UV coated to protect against the yellow hazing? Also where do you guys get it at?

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'm fixing to have to get some new headlights. I've heard people talk about sealing them to keep the water out. What are they talking about? Shouldn't the headlights already be sealed

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I forgot about this thread, but I went ahead and bought the OEM Ford set from LateModel. Got a pair of pre-cut UV film to cover them as well. Need to order some film for my Lightning's headlights too since I bought new lights for it as well, haha.

SilverSnake5854

Established Member
If u know anyone who can get parts from ford at cost, the oem tinted ones are $97 @cost... Just bought one last week. If headlamps are sun damaged, dull and or yellow, you can sand and buff them just like clearcoat. But the best thing to do is sand em down and clear coat them. If u know anyone that paints.. Lasts forever, looks brand new. Been doin it for years

Users who are viewing this thread