Aftermarket Brake Hoses May Fail on Ford SVT Mustang Cobras

mosconiac

Established Member
This may be old news, but does anyone have additional details on the following, like brake lining manufacturer(s) in question...etc:

Excerpt...
Ricardo Martinez, M.D., Administrator of the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said today "To date we have learned of 21 brake hose failures in 15 vehicles. Two of these failures led to crashes on racetracks, one in which the Cobra was a total loss."

Link...
http://www.safetyalerts.com/rcls/nhtsa/99/cobra.htm

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Aftermarket Brake Hoses May Fail on Ford SVT Mustang Cobras

Did i read right..I think Stock hoses failed from useing after market brakes,,
Actually After Market hoses were needed..

Jim V.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
I believe Jimmy V is correct. Also, the Cobra mentioned in that report, I think its one that crashed at Summit Point. Chris Ihara from Corral is familiar with that incident. Its also important to note that these are pre-99 Cobra's. In 99 they increased the length of the metal portion of the line specifically toprevent such failures. Aftermarket braided lines are still a wise upgrade though.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Steve Snake Driver
I believe Jimmy V is correct. Also, the Cobra mentioned in that report, I think its one that crashed at Summit Point. Chris Ihara from Corral is familiar with that incident. Its also important to note that these are pre-99 Cobra's. In 99 they increased the length of the metal portion of the line specifically toprevent such failures. Aftermarket braided lines are still a wise upgrade though.

Yes,,Thank's for taking it further.When i did rotors and brakes on my 96 Cobra,Ford already had better lines and rotors to upgrade to.
I believe they were the stock 99up parts..
Atleast the Rotors were for sure.I also bought there upgraded brake line.

Jim V.

Users who are viewing this thread