Aftermarket 4.6 2V Intake Manifold,Which one to go with?

4stang6

Established Member
Did a quick search on SVTp and didnt find anything.So heres a couple questions.

I have looked at several different intake manifolds for our cars and really havent had good accurate info...so out the following intake manifolds,which one can give you the best results for N/A applications and F/I applications? Which one have some of ya'll gone with and made more power over the stock plastic intake ? whether its n/a or f/i, just explain ya'lls expience with any...

1. Bullitt Intake
2. HPS Hardballer Intake
3. Foxlake P51 Intake
4. Professional Production Typhoon Intake
5. Trickflow Trackheat Intake
6. Edelbrock Vic.Jr Intake w/Custom Elbow
7. Logans Sheet Metal Intake
8. BBK DSI Intake
9. Reichard Racing Intake

I think i listed just about all the big company intakes,If i forget some let me know and ill add them.

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
I went with the HPS on my 2v. I had good gains, would have to check to see what they were, been awhile.

I would avoid typhoon due to the fact that they have had many fitting issues.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Edelbrock FTW.

Friends car picked up 18hp by switching to that on his built 2V.

I'll be getting one if I ever get the money to do my build.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I tried the PP intake. It made more that the stock PI, but blew out the lower gasket with 20psi. It works, but one should have the lower section welded solid so it doesnt blow gaskets. I then added a fully ported hardball'r and it made more than the PP. It performed awesome while I had it. I had no issues at all. Now I have the Edelbrock and it just kicks ass.
The logan seems to be an awesome intake, but is expensive and it wont clear a stock hood.
My setup with the hardball'r was as good if not better than two close setups with the RR intake.
Their is a guy who posts on MF that made 425rw n/a with the edelbrock and TF heads and like 383rw with PI heads.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I've had the fox lake p-51 for a while but when you consider the p-51 you have to consider the additional cost of getting a new hoood with an extra 2" clearance to clear the new intake. If you already have a higher rise hood on the car already by chance, then i think you would want to consider it more. It is also suggested you run a 75mm tb with the p-51 to get the full advantage, so that is also something to consider.
If you already are running a built modular with higher flowing heads I think the p-51 would really maximize the combo overall. The p-51 has more gaskets than some of the others in the aftermarket, so there's more gaskets to blow out there. The p-51 isnt as expensive as it used to be when they were the only street aftermarket intake out there.
If you dont want to change hoods than i would go with another one of the aftermarket metal intakes.
the bullit gets expensive because you have these people selling those intake manifolds for way more than they are worth imo, then you may not even have all the ford pieces needed to do the swap even if you find a good deal on a used one.

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
Peak hp doesn't tell the whole story, let's see some dyno graphs :)

Here's a fully built and stroked turbo 2V with trickflow heads.

75mm throttle body and stock intake vs 90mm throttle body and edelbrock. I was going to go with edelbrock but I'm rethinking that. Sure he picked up 100 rwhp at peak but it's losing 100 hp at some area's of the powerband and doesn't start making more power until what I'd guess would be around 5200 rpm.

2011-10-22_10-49-11_431.jpg

I like the long runner intake, I'm thinking it just needs a port and maybe a bigger throttle body. Is the typhoon just a recast of the original? I might look at getting a ported one if so, it wouldn't make the peak numbers of the edelbrock but power under the curve should be better.

Last edited:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Wonder why they cut the pulls so short.. Racing you would be under 5000rpm, so I'd take the +100hp. I bet it would be even more gain if they pulled it to 7000rpm.

Sleakk99

Wow I didnt realized there were so many intakes now for the 2 valve. I went with a bullitt intake from mps. Said it was complete but they shorted me several pieces. N it got expensive buying parts from ford. Wish I would have went with a edlebrock or trick flow.

yuke175

Established Member
any of these intakes good for a n/a motor with just bolt ons like pulleys, tb, plenum, jlt, maf, o/r x pipe and catback? Would like to add intake and heads down the line... but would i hurt performance by throwing one of these on before heads?

Mike@TF

Established Member
any of these intakes good for a n/a motor with just bolt ons like pulleys, tb, plenum, jlt, maf, o/r x pipe and catback? Would like to add intake and heads down the line... but would i hurt performance by throwing one of these on before heads?

not really keep the stocker

Bloody-mustang

Established Member
this is what you do dyno you car get the base numbers. then buy the intake of your choice put it on and dyno it aging and see the difference.heres my set on a stock long block with stock cams.
2011-09-21174234.jpg

2011-10-11190500.jpg

2011-10-11194932.jpg

theres the difference in intakes.. now you choose ive have proven results..not what ive heard...

99black5spd

Established Member
ive got the p51 on a built motor 2 valve with head work and i also got it to fit under the hood just need a little notching thats all nothing to major...and i got it for 600 which isnt bad more or less the price of any other aftermarket intake manifold...i love the intake cuz it lookes awesome under the hood and flows great with my setup so i would highly recommend it and plus you can port the hell out of it which is always a plus

BaznastyDave

Established Member
this is what you do dyno you car get the base numbers. then buy the intake of your choice put it on and dyno it aging and see the difference.heres my set on a stock long block with stock cams.
2011-09-21174234.jpg

2011-10-11190500.jpg

2011-10-11194932.jpg

theres the difference in intakes.. now you choose ive have proven results..not what ive heard...

So you went from 248WHP to 275??

urmaster85

Established Member
2011-09-21174234.jpg

2011-10-11190500.jpg

2011-10-11194932.jpg

so what exactly do you have on intake? what part# id the plenum? also how did you get the tps to mount to the throttle body? beats having to buy mmr adapter plate to mount a smaller plenum and smaller tb

StrayBullitt

Established Member
i want to know what is required to run an eddy intake setup like bloody-mustang is running.

You will need aftermarket fuel rails and ruel rail pressure sensor adapter, (MMR makes a nice setup) and you'll either need an adapter plate to run a plenum made for the PI intake or you can get the 6061 plenum or the Eddy plenum above. If you go with with 6061 it is 75mm and you'll need a 75mm bolt on throttle body, Eddy is 90mm.

urmaster85

Established Member
thank you for clarifying. How did he run the tps and iac sensors? I want to run the eddy plenum but it doesn't have provisions like thr 6061.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Just a guess, but running that 2" carb spacer and with the tps sensor now on top, it looks like he just had to extend the wires.. cut/splice. I have no idea how he's idling the motor though.. I don't even see the IAC.

Users who are viewing this thread