After the dust settles

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
I have a question concerning dust getting on the car when it's sitting at work. I work on a military base in San Diego. The base is literally on the water. Now I know most of you are saying right about now " OH POOR BABY"(jk). But unfortunately because of all the sand/dust that is blown around in that area--my car gets a film from only one day at work. My question is, other than washing it constantly, is there any other way to remove the sand/dust without damaging the paint?

THANKS!

Chameleon

Established Member
There are those "car dusters" but personally I would not recommend dusting a car off with one of those if the car has sand/dust on it.

If it were my car I would buy a car cover. I purchased one of the California Car Covers in the Noah fabric. They fold up to a reasonable size and fit in the trunk. After a bit of practice you can cover the car in a couple of minutes.

The problem with being close to the ocean is that the car gets exposed to salt air so I would still recommend rinsing it off often.

Anyway thats my 02.....

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
If you are careful the dusters can work, but they need shaken off several times during the wipedown, and blown out after each use, if you don't know dirt will scratch paint. If I don't wash my car, I blow it off then use the duster.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
California duster. I have yet to scratch a car with it, not matter what type of dust/sand is on it.

dalamar_96

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
California duster. I have yet to scratch a car with it, not matter what type of dust/sand is on it.
Same here.
If you keep it waxed or polished up, the dust comes off easier.

On the car cover - if it's windy there, the wind can repeatedly beat the cover against you paint.

Scott P

Established Member
The car duster is a good idea. I am a bit biased, but Poorboy's Spray and Wipe is a waterless wash that would fit your situation nicely. I keep a little travel kit of Spray and Wipe, Clearkote Quik Shine and Poorboy's Bird Sh#t Remover along with a bunch of microfiber towels in my car.

I know the idea of a waterless wash is a bit scary, but it does work as advertised. The car duster is another option that would work, as I previously mentioned. If you buy a new one, be sure to allow a few days of it sitting on newspaper to get the excess substance off the fibers.

bp03svt

Established Member
Yep, California Car Duster. They work great, keep it waxed-- I know you do, you wouldn't be so worried about it as much!

Users who are viewing this thread