After market intakes for 99/01 cobra? Where to find one?

Badaz01

Established Member
I’ve been searching for after market intakes for my 2001 cobra and can’t seem to find one and when I do not sure how to make it work such as plumbing up the upper plenum and throttle body. So far I’ve seen the FR500 and and a Sullivan intake. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get as much power as possible n/a without tearing into motor.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The Sullivan is going to be your main choice. They haven't made the FR500 in a long time so you'll have to find one used. Your best bet is going to be having the stocker ported. The Sully is good, but needs RPM to work.

But even the porting would probably be the last thing I'd do. What are your power goals?

Badaz01

Established Member
The Sullivan is going to be your main choice. They haven't made the FR500 in a long time so you'll have to find one used. Your best bet is going to be having the stocker ported. The Sully is good, but needs RPM to work.

But even the porting would probably be the last thing I'd do. What are your power goals?
As much as I can get n/a I dynoed the other day and went 303 whp. Adding longtubes as we speak. Would like to be close to stock terminator power with no s/c

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What mods do you have already?

Are you talking crank or rear wheel horsepower? Either way you might want to do some research. Getting good N/A power out of these engines isn't easy.

Badaz01

Established Member
Oh and w

While I’m at it my installer had to sent my primaries on the longtubes to get steering shaft to fit Will this affect performance?

Badaz01

Established Member
What mods do you have already?

Are you talking crank or rear wheel horsepower? Either way you might want to do some research. Getting good N/A power out of these engines isn't easy.
That was rear wheel horsepower and actually 298 after weather correction. Currently I have jlt fender intake bbk 68 mm throttle body intake spacer 93 performance custom tune walbro fuel pump. That’s it as far as performance longtubes will be on in few days along with other suspension mods and an adjustment to the tune

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh and w

While I’m at it my installer had to sent my primaries on the longtubes to get steering shaft to fit Will this affect performance?

having to dimple/dent to clear the steering shaft wont hurt anything.

upper 300s hp is doable but you'll need some aggressive cams with springs etc... as well. Theres a few write ups about how to get there but Im not sure where they are at the moment

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd say that's a happy dyno. But you might've gotten a good engine.

I was referring to you which power goals you have. 03/04's make 360-370 at the tire in stock condition. You're looking at cams at least. Probably ported and polished heads. And a possible bump in compression. By the time you get into that you're well into a blower set up price wise. I think @shurur has the write ups saved.

The guy that bought my 01 built an engine that made around 430hp. It was also a 12:1 fully built engine that he spun to 8k.

Badaz01

Established Member
I'd say that's a happy dyno. But you might've gotten a good engine.

I was referring to you which power goals you have. 03/04's make 360-370 at the tire in stock condition. You're looking at cams at least. Probably ported and polished heads. And a possible bump in compression. By the time you get into that you're well into a blower set up price wise. I think @shurur has the write ups saved.

The guy that bought my 01 built an engine that made around 430hp. It was also a 12:1 fully built engine that he spun to 8k.
That was on a mustang Dyno from what I hear they are usually read less than say a dynojet idk.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That was on a mustang Dyno from what I hear they are usually read less than say a dynojet idk.
They usually do. But the operator can make it read whatever he wants with the calibration.

FWIW, my 01 made 290ishrwhp with a JLT and catted X pipe. That was on a dynojet.

Badaz01

Established Member
They usually do. But the operator can make it read whatever he wants with the calibration.

FWIW, my 01 made 290ishrwhp with a JLT and catted X pipe. That was on a dynojet.
That’s pretty good I made 264 with above stated mods minus the intake spacer. When I added the spacer idk if it was the straw that broke the camels back or what but I gained 30 whp with it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
30hp with a spacer? Sorry, I have a hard time believing that. I think the most I might have seen is 10hp. And that was on the Machs. The Cobras never really responded to them.

And yes, I tried a spacer on my old set up, but it was far from stock.

Badaz01

Established Member
30hp with a spacer? Sorry, I have a hard time believing that. I think the most I might have seen is 10hp. And that was on the Machs. The Cobras never really responded to them.

And yes, I tried a spacer on my old set up, but it was far from stock.
I know our jaws hit the floor when we saw it to. Not to mention 10-15 whp through the entire rpm band starting at 2300 rpms. Maybe my tuner did the first comparison before he did my other mods but I can tell you this the catback was on it before I took it in to get tuned idk.

shurur

Established Member
NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
NA SVT custom cams properly degreed.
short runner. (only If running above 7k RPM)
Tune

As I think I understand it...FP, 39# injectors and 90mm MAF with retune can be added at this point to extract a bit more from the 4.6 and prep for a stroker or BB stroker build.

shurur

Established Member
A well calibrated dynojet is considered the most accurate dyno by most folks in the know.

shurur

Established Member
As I understand it, the sullivan is only good should you plan to spin it above 7k rpm.

A clean , revised 99 lower intake or 2001 cobra lower intake..or 2003-2004 mach1 lower intake, is the best for < 7k rpm.

If you want rwhp up higher in the rpm range, you need the lower intake runners cut ~1.5" and to be prepared to lose low end torque.

Users who are viewing this thread