After 5 years, finally got the Cobra tuned! Procharger F-1A

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Well after being a back burner project for years, I finally got around to finishing up the Cobra. I first got it back in 2014, traded my '06 Z06 for it and lots of cash. It was then a teksid block twin turbo build. That sounded awesome until a rod knock forced me to garage it and start tearing it down. Turned out the block was trash, turbo kit looked like it was designed by a 5-year old, and I'm pretty sure the fuel system was thought up after a few bud-light 30-packs in a trailer park.

I then decided to scrap everything and start over from scratch. $30k and several years later I ended up with a 5.3 big bore stroker with a Procharger, RPM-built T56, and a complete custom BBRC fuel system.

Today, I finally got it tuned by Robert at Vendetta Speed in Spring, TX. Turns out the blower pulley I received was bigger than I thought, the car tapped out at 15 psi instead of the expected 23+.

At 15 psi, 21 degrees timing, 6200 rpms, she still put down 744 rwhp in 98 degree humid Houston weather. Peak torque was 662 rwtq at 5700 rpm. E85 of course. Here's the video:

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Congrats. I'll have to watch the vid when I'm on my computer. Really makes me wonder what mine was putting down.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya...and 15psi. Sounds like you got 900 if you want it

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Congrats on getting her done. How are the street manners? Let us know when you hurt some feelings out there!

Not sure on street manners yet, it only has trailer miles on it right now. As usual with my luck, the drivers side half-shaft ate itself on the dyno so I need to find a replacement before I can take it out.

Congrats. I'll have to watch the vid when I'm on my computer. Really makes me wonder what mine was putting down.

Thanks! I was hoping for a lot more boost but HOB sent me a 4" pulley by mistake, I was expecting 20-25 psi.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Here's the dyno sheet:

20190709_175354.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Probably just ran outta breath. That HP line looks awful steep before it flattens out.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Sweet! Congrats staying with it and finishing it. I feel like I’m about to shelf my project for a few years here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Sounds great man!! But that 6200rpm roll over is weird. Even with stock cams should be going out to Atleast 6800

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That is peculiar seeing the incremental data.....it was picking up ~20 every 100 rpm until about 5300 then it really slows down. 5800-6200 only a 13.5hp total gain. I would have guessed it would be steamrolling thru that range....but maybe only producing 15psi is completely out of that blowers efficiency range and things are going to change drastically at 23psi

Users who are viewing this thread