AFR issues at idle

99BlownVert

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a turbo 93 5.0 fox that is running rich at idle. It runs 11.5-12 at idle no matter how I clock the maf. When you give it gas and air gets going by the meter the air fuel is fine, WOT is great car runs good. Idle is my only issue and it is rich.

Tuner took 80% fuel out at idle just to see what it would do and nothing changed. We unplugged the maf at idle and nothing changed. Its like the maf is not responding until about 2000 rpm. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I am going to check maf wiring next and see how that looks, thanks.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Where is the MAF located in the piping? Is he able to datalog the voltage that it is reading at idle, and cruise? How is the car being tuned(software)?

99BlownVert

Established Member
It in in the fender in the straightest piece possible about 2 feet from intercooler exit. Yes the voltage at idle seemed fine cruise as well. It is tuned with a SCT chip he burned on the dyno.

I have also messed with fuel pressure at idle and it does not change things much either.

99BlownVert

Established Member
Wideband is in the down pipe about 2 feet back from exit of turbo. When on the dyno we kept that one on and put a wideband in the crossover pipe infront of the motor. The AFR matched on each of these locations.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Strange, I know with my longubes my AFR at idle basically means nothing, tuned by feel and vacuum as the pulses are strange. I'm not terribly sure what the issue is. Does it smell like its running fat?

99BlownVert

Established Member
Yes it does smell rich at idle, I really dont want to wash the oil down with fuel by letting it idle. Over a long term that could contaminate the oil pretty badly with fuel don't you think?

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Its possible, but it would have to idle for some time I would imagine. Maybe try and pull fuel until it kills it, then try adding some bit by bit to get it close.

gmcconn1

Established Member
What injectors does it have? When the tuner changed the maf curve to reduce the fuel, did the injector pulse width change?

Users who are viewing this thread