Advice on fuel mods for E85

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well lesson learned I should have done everything setup for E85 last spring when I upgraded my fuel mods, but E85 wasn't readily available and now it might be.

I currently have the fore level 1 return fuel system with walbro gss342 pumps and 60 lb injectors. I know the 342's are not rated for e85, but it seems many have run it with success. If I need to upgrade pumps, then I'm looking at AEM 50-1200's. Would those pumps require a hobbs switch? If so, then I'd also have to upgrade to the fc3 controller. I realize I'd also need bigger injectors.

If I go E85, plans would be a 2.6 upper only or 3.00 upper/4lb lower.

Other than that, is my fuel setup good for 700 rwhp?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would double check what the regulator in that Fore level kit supports as well

The kit states on there site that it's capable of supporting 800 rwhp. I'm sure pumps have a lot to do with that as well. I don't see my setup making more than 675 hp.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm running the regulator that comes in the Fore Level 1 kit on e85 with no issues at 21 psi. In the cold its done over 22 psi and no fuel problems, with the 04sleeper added corn tune I'm sure I'm close to 700rwhp.

gaspasr

Established Member
I'm running the regulator that comes in the Fore Level 1 kit on e85 with no issues at 21 psi. In the cold its done over 22 psi and no fuel problems, with the 04sleeper added corn tune I'm sure I'm close to 700rwhp.

You should be there :lol:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Ok, if I go e85 I'll likely get the id1000 injectors. Just have to check my budget and see how soon I'd be able to make the switch. Still not sure what do with fuel pumps.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Ok, if I go e85 I'll likely get the id1000 injectors. Just have to check my budget and see how soon I'd be able to make the switch. Still not sure what do with fuel pumps.

I'd go either aem 320e's or the walbro 465. Either one will work great for e85 and handle 700whp goals. the 465's are a little more expensive but will handle more. Cant go wrong with either.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the pumps should be ok the injectors need to be upgrade. ID1000s

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd go either aem 320e's or the walbro 465. Either one will work great for e85 and handle 700whp goals. the 465's are a little more expensive but will handle more. Cant go wrong with either.

I'm leaning more towards the 320e's, but not sure if I need the hobbs switch along with the fc3 controller? Or if I can just use my current fc2 and let them both run full time?

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm leaning more towards the 320e's, but not sure if I need the hobbs switch along with the fc3 controller? Or if I can just use my current fc2 and let them both run full time?

Do both your pumps run full time currently?

I think if I had it to do over again I'd do dual 465's or maybe one 465 and one 320. The dual 320's should be good for over 750rwmp maybe almost 800rwhp based off some online calculators but it would be nice to have a little extra.

I originally went with the 320's vs the 465's because at that time the common belief was these bigger pumps would over heat the fuel, and Malcolmv8 disproved that theory. If you do your upgrade now is the time to go deadhead as well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Do both your pumps run full time currently?

I think if I had it to do over again I'd do dual 465's or maybe one 465 and one 320. The dual 320's should be good for over 750rwmp maybe almost 800rwhp based off some online calculators but it would be nice to have a little extra.

I originally went with the 320's vs the 465's because at that time the common belief was these bigger pumps would over heat the fuel, and Malcolmv8 disproved that theory. If you do your upgrade now is the time to go deadhead as well.

Yes currently both pumps run full time. If I make the switch, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible and not have to replace every fuel mod I just added. And since the 320's are smaller pump compared to the 465's, this is my question if I need a hobbs switch or if I can just basically swap out the current pumps for 320's?

Or try the current 342's for now?

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Yes currently both pumps run full time. If I make the switch, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible and not have to replace every fuel mod I just added. And since the 320's are smaller pump compared to the 465's, this is my question if I need a hobbs switch or if I can just basically swap out the current pumps for 320's?

Or try the current 342's for now?

If people have run the 342's on e85 might as well give it a shot as you're not really out much. You'll take a beating financially selling them, and with e85 if a pump dies its probably going to warn you before anything goes bad since its almost detonation proof.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry about running the 320's full time. Right now you are running the GSS342's full time so the jump from 510 lph to 640 lph is not that significant. And you already have the FC2 controller.

With the ID1000's, you might have enough with just the GSS342's. That would be only if you keep the fuel pressure turned down to 40 or so to keep the flow higher from the pumps. Once you increase the fuel pressure, you loose flow from the pumps. You could always try the injectors first and see if you have any pressure drop. Worse case scenario you drop the tank anyway and swap to to the 320's. Swapping pumps won't change anything in the tune so it would be easy.

Let me know if you need any help.

Oh, and once you switch to corn, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

JeremyH

Established Member
All Fore components use Viton seals and O-rings for e85 compatibility. While your current gss pumps aren't rated for e85 they should work fine. Pump life will be reduced. I don't think they will get you to the power your looking for however. And 1000cc injectors are a good choice.

I run 1000cc bosch injectors and Fore dual pump staggered setup its rated to 850-900rwhp on e85. My primary pump is the 320 aem-e which is the always on pump and then my second pump is the walbro 465 pump that comes on with the fc3 and a hobbs in boost. Awesome street setup.

You don't have to stagger pumps or run a fc3 but I ike the benefits for a street car. If im idling at a stop light I don't need 850rwhp of fuel flow banging through the lines and rails.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about running the 320's full time. Right now you are running the GSS342's full time so the jump from 510 lph to 640 lph is not that significant. And you already have the FC2 controller.

With the ID1000's, you might have enough with just the GSS342's. That would be only if you keep the fuel pressure turned down to 40 or so to keep the flow higher from the pumps. Once you increase the fuel pressure, you loose flow from the pumps. You could always try the injectors first and see if you have any pressure drop. Worse case scenario you drop the tank anyway and swap to to the 320's. Swapping pumps won't change anything in the tune so it would be easy.

/end thread

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Very cool! I was wondering about using different pumps and if it would effect my tune, so you answered that for me! And I'm happy I can stick with the fc2 controller! So what would you do if you were in my situation? Swap out injectors and give it a try, or do injectors and 320 pumps?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would give the injectors a shot. Then while you are retuning for E85, watch the Pressure Drop Across Injectors and see if it goes down any. Make a short pull to 5000, then 5500, 6000, and so on. If you see the FP dropping off at a good rate, then swap pumps. If not, then you should be good to go. Every car is different, but the data doesn't lie.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would give the injectors a shot. Then while you are retuning for E85, watch the Pressure Drop Across Injectors and see if it goes down any. Make a short pull to 5000, then 5500, 6000, and so on. If you see the FP dropping off at a good rate, then swap pumps. If not, then you should be good to go. Every car is different, but the data doesn't lie.

Cool, I'm not self-tuning but I'm sure my tuner would know what to look for. He's tuned plenty of cobras. I'm assuming I can't just throw in the id1000's and drive an hour to the shop for a tune, so I may have to have them install them. :whine:

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Cool, I'm not self-tuning but I'm sure my tuner would know what to look for. He's tuned plenty of cobras. I'm assuming I can't just throw in the id1000's and drive an hour to the shop for a tune, so I may have to have them install them. :whine:
He should be able to make the change in the tune for the injectors and email it to you. That should at least let you drive there.

Users who are viewing this thread