Advice needed: upgrade to a VMP 2R or 3R?

marsh2o

Established Member
I have 2007 GT500 that has about 100,000 miles on it, but still has good compression. The only mods I’ve made to it over the years have been to the suspension, brakes, and differential, but I’m now planning to add a supercharger and my choice is between a VMP 2R vs. a VMP 3R, with a price differential of about $1500 for the head unit alone. The choice is time-sensitive as finding a new VMP 2R is getting harder every day.

My goals for the car are 700-750 RWHP on 93 octane with a 6500 rpm rev limit. The car will never see the dragstrip, but will be taken to the occasional autocross and HPDE.

Common to either purchase will be the following supporting mods: a 2008 harmonic balancer, Shelby Extreme Heat Exchanger, a Ford Super Cobra Jet throttle body, Ford FRPP 123 mm cold air intake, VMP dual fuel pump voltage booster, DW 95# 1000CC injectors, and NGK 3690 spark plugs.

At some point, I may decide to build a 5.8 shortblock, refurbish the heads, and add headers, but those mods are several years off (assuming I don’t break anything in the meantime).

My question is, can I reach my power goals with a VMP 2R and the above mods? Or do I need to upgrade to the 3R? And are there any other advantages of a 3R over a 2R, given my planned usage? And perhaps one other potential concern: my car has a GT500KR hood (with the additional air management ducting for the hood scoop underneath), does anyone know whether the larger size of the 3R over the 2R creates any clearance problems?

Last edited:

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Your horsepower goals will largely depend on how comfortable your tuner is with pushing your engine with that many miles. A Gen 2R can get you to 700rwhp but again will come down to what you tuner feels is safe on 93. Also if you can still find a Gen 2R.

Not sure about the hood clearance , I run a Gen 2R on a stock hood.

HKusp

Established Member
A 2R should get you there (700+) with those injectors if you have a good tuner < cough cough BJ with Venomous..cough cough>. I was north of 650 with 52lbers and a failing KB BAP AND 120K+ when I added my 2R. It was living well for 40k more miles and twin VMP voltage boosters when I totalled mine. The hood, I have no info for you.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Real world #'s right here. 2R
My friend runs a 3R almost identical setup as he followed my example.
I think where the 2R stops pulling (it feels like it plateaus in the high mid RPM range), the 3R keeps pulling. The HP and TQ #'s were not far off from each other. Both cars @ sea level

Only downside, the 3R you have to machine the thermostat housing

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask here. All parts were pretty much purchased off the classifieds here.

*No headers, stock manifolds. With headers would have punched the 700rwhp ticket

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I would run a 2r especially if just for the street. 750 on pump is a stretch regardless. You are already resigned to a build so let er rip I guess.....

VNMOUS1

Established Member
GEN2R. You're welcome to call me and ask about it. The first one was on my personal car.

Bj

ca51e40a216ec571dd60e77758bc8902.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
You're going to want long tubes to help you get there with a 2R. Even so, 700 to 750 on 93 with that many miles is risky. A bad batch of gas or a sub par tune could be expensive. I wouldn't trust a "lets just look at the plugs" tuner either. Get it on a dyno unless you can monitor air/fuel ratios.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
2R Kit from VMP with a 2.4 Pulley on my 2010 GT500, the stock Cats held me back @ 677 RWHP and 91 Octane + Octane Boost. Only 11k Miles on my car though High Elevation in New Mexico to.

Users who are viewing this thread