Advice Needed on buying a Focus ST

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
My third child has come along and my ext cab Ranger is feeling smaller than ever, so I'm needing something with four doors. My first thought was to buy a crew cab F150 or Ram but after realizing what I'd be paying to get what I want I've decided to keep my truck and buy a four door car. I've been looking around and I'm really set on getting an ST. I'm actually pretty excited to have something fun to daily drive again. It's been quite a few years since I've daily drove a Mustang and my current Cobra only comes out for cruise ins and shows.

So what advice can you give me on these cars? Is there certain year models to avoid? Issues they're known for? Options to make sure it has or to avoid? I'm really wanting to buy used, with 30k miles or less. Been looking and seems I can pick one up a few years old for 18-20k which is the max I'm wanting to spend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

einehund

Established Member
The 13-14's had a change to the brakes for the 2014 models built after March 2014. The early model have smaller brakes with a more aggressive pad compound which creates an UNGODLY amount of brake dust. The Apr 2014 and on models use bigger brakes off the Escape, with a less aggressive pad, but it still creates brake dust pretty bad. There are 3 different wheels available: 2 snowflake versions (one is silver, and the other is called Rado Gray, a dark gunmetal color) and starting in 2015, if you got the package with the all season tires, it is a split 5 spoke wheel that has a love it or hate it vibe. The ST1 package is a no frills package, with ST2 and ST3 getting upgraded electronics and sound system. Leather recaros are only available with the ST3 (I believe they are heated) Partial Leather recaros (non heated) are on the ST2 package. ST1's have cloth seats that are not as supportive as the recaros, but they do the job pretty well. The headlights on the ST3's are HID's an look quite a lot better than the ST2 or ST1 headlights (they sell for like a grand!)
Known issues: there was a TSB and then a recall due to a wire splice in the engine control harness that caused cars to randomly shut off. It only applied to 2013 and 2014 ST's, and anyone I know of who has the recall done doesn't have any issues. Additionally, there has been a spattering of failed transmissions, even on stock cars. Ford has been really good about changing out the transmissions. From my point of view, they know about the issues, but it is cheaper to fix the ones that break than to issue a recall.
You mentioned that you have a 3rd child. Be aware that 3 kids in the back will be pretty damn tight. It isn't impossible, but it sure doesn't look like fun for the kids.
The car itself is a blast, and modded they are just flat out ridiculously fun. My wife's car (the ST) puts a bigger smile on my face as a daily than the Shelby does, and that is the best review I can give right now. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. As usual the newer I can get the better I guess. My kids are 12, 10, and a 5 mo old so back seat space shouldn't be an issue since one can be up front.

Do you have the Recaros? If so do you like them? Some of the reviews I've seen on them say they're pretty uncomfortable. Since I'll be daily driving this thing I might try to find one without them.

einehund

Established Member
Wife has the ST1 with the non-recaros. It is a 2014 with 35k miles, and a few long road trips. I've got no complaints about the seats.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I have the no frills 2016 ST1 and from what I've read if your a "bigger" person the Recaros seats may be a little tight.

After driving my no frills for four months now I have to say I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on a 2 or a 3. What the hell, I've got the same engine and transmission and in my book that's what counts!

Finally saved-up enough cash and in a week or so I'll be yanking out that lame-ass factory CD/radio and those lame-ass factory speakers with three grand worth of head unit/amp/speakers. Soon we'll be rock'n! ...and to think the salesman wanted to sell me that lame-ass Sony stuff. I looked at him like he was from outer space. I told him factory sucked! His reply, Oh no, the Sony is a premium sound system. My reply.... Blaaaa!... Haaaa!...:-D

Last edited:

st3owner

Established Member
I have the 2013 st3, full leather recaros and i will say i think they are comfortable. But i'm not what you would call a "bigger" guy. I had the recall done for the harness splice and i can honestly say i haven't had any problems out of the car and i bought it new.

I am debating on doing an even trade for an 03 svt cobra though... But i love my st..... it's going to be a rough decision. But the ST is definitely a great car, and i'm glad i got the recaros for those tight corners, you don't move at all in the front seats

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Bumping my older thread to update everyone that I found this ST last week in Huntsville AL and picked it up. It's a 13 ST3 with 36k miles.
447807c1fbddbcef82bc74764b1644dd.jpg

dc84f35599c1b211df91fda5bac81b9c.jpg

09066a6e4a76095538a209f5d243f293.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread