Advice Needed - Mom Car

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Surely there are plenty of dads on the forum so here goes nothing.

We are toying with shopping for a new vehicle for my wife that will be our family vehicle/kid hauler/around town runner. We are looking at no smaller than a Ford Edge. No sedans. We want AWD, decent MPGs thanks to a certain idiot to be unnamed, and ideally 3 row seating but not required as little man coming in august is just our first.

I’d love to stick with a Ford because I am a homer but would entertain other quality suggestions. My practical side has even considered allowing a minivan test drive :cry::ROFLMAO:

I’m kinda torn between explorer and expedition but I just got my dream F250 last fall so I’m trying to keep my opinion muted because my wife deserves to have her choice - pregnancy is no joke!

What say you, Dads of SVTP?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Explorers are great for 1-2 kids.
Expeditions are great for 3-5 kids.

If you get an Expedition, I'd get a MAX just for the extra storage room in the rear. But if you guys are only going to have <2 kids, you would love an Explorer.

96dreamer

Established Member
Current mom vehicle for us is a 22 Bronco Badlands. NO complaints other than mpg's lol.

venmos1

Established Member
I have 3 kids. what i have learned is the 3rd is a game changer. having to go 3 wide with car seats is a challenge and not all (maybe not most) can do it. Using the 3rd row for seating imo is a pain in the ass. i want all 3 wide in the second row and use the back for everything else. We currently have a 2017 gmc acadia that goes 3 wide. its tight but works and is pretty decent space wise behind the 2nd row. its not the best vehicle out there. but its been dependable and trouble free. awd and a dog imo, esp out of the hole. but my wife likes it.

so i would first consider the likelihood of 2 more children (we thought we were gonna stop at 2). then start narrowing it down. sounds like an explorer vs expedition decision.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
We've had several "mom mobiles" as we've gone from 1 to 3 kids over the years. Explorer, SQ5, Odyssey, Escalade, and currently a GLS550. If you only need to fit one car seat for the foreseeable future then you can get away with anything. Once you need to fit 3, your options get a bit more limited lol. My best advice is let mom test drive and get what she wants.

blownfox

Established Member
We have two kids and the explorer is OK. Not the best second row for car seats which is why we take my truck everywhere. Gas mileage is terrible at 15 mpg. I've heard from other ecoboost owners that the gas mileage suck. I've been looking at trading it in on a Lexus RX350.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn I definitely shot this in the wrong forum. Mods can move and slap my wrist, sorry.

We hope to end up with 3-4 if all goes according to plan. Expedition makes sense for that application but we’re just here on square 1 so I realistically think it’ll be 5 or so years before that is necessary. I freakin love the expedition though. They are awesome. Max makes more sense for the bigger gas tank too.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
We have two kids and the explorer is OK. Not the best second row for car seats which is why we take my truck everywhere. Gas mileage is terrible at 15 mpg. I've heard from other ecoboost owners that the gas mileage suck. I've been looking at trading it in on a Lexus RX350.
What year/engine? Seems low. Hell my 02 4.0 v6 got 17 around town

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Damn I definitely shot this in the wrong forum. Mods can move and slap my wrist, sorry.

We hope to end up with 3-4 if all goes according to plan. Expedition makes sense for that application but we’re just here on square 1 so I realistically think it’ll be 5 or so years before that is necessary. I freakin love the expedition though. They are awesome. Max makes more sense for the bigger gas tank too.

I'd buy what you want to end up with, now.

venmos1

Established Member
Laugh all you want but We have a Mazda Mpv, Honda Odyssey, Sienna and Cx9 for my triplets. Mini Vans are by far best option. Captain Seats, great Mpg and Comfortable as shit!!!
our friends (who watch our kids) have one. cannot argue the practicality of a mini van. triplets, holeefook. dont worry OP, what are the odds of going from 1 to 4? Its not like they get more fertile after the first.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
our friends (who watch our kids) have one. cannot argue the practicality of a mini van. triplets, holeefook. dont worry OP, what are the odds of going from 1 to 4? Its not like they get more fertile after the first.
I loved the Mazda Mpv back in day better than Honda and Toyota...

Kids are in college now.... I miss the vans tho..Hahaha!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread