Advice for some mufflers with no drone

PM-Performance

Established Member
I begrudgingly am looking at removing my stock GT500 mufflers and looking for some free flowing cans that do not drone and not stupid obnoxious!

I race alot with my friends and I cannot even hear my own car when running so it throws me off a little.
Car currently has LTH's and ORX with stock piping and mufflers from the X back.

So something that I can still enjoy listening to my Shaker1K and my wife can tolerate with no headaches. Even better if I won't blow the baffles out with my WOTBox.

Any suggestion?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Geeze Bud......Not sure if there's one muffler out there that checks all those right boxes. I'd bet Borla Ataks can be heard . But not sure about the stereo, especially with ORX & Headers. Bigger mid-pipe maybe ?
On hot summer days my vert top is down. But if I'm planning on running somebody, I show up with A/C on and windows up. When we're doing what we do... AC Off and driver window cracked just in case we need to hear them coming :)->).

PM-Performance

Established Member
Geeze Bud......Not sure if there's one muffler out there that checks all those right boxes. I'd bet Borla Ataks can be heard . But not sure about the stereo, especially with ORX & Headers. Bigger mid-pipe maybe ?
On hot summer days my vert top is down. But if I'm planning on running somebody, I show up with A/C on and windows up. When we're doing what we do... AC Off and driver window cracked just in case we need to hear them coming :)->).

it’s a 3” mid pipe.
When full steam the stock mufflers make some noise, but next to cars with corsa extremes and slp loudmouths, I cant hear my own car going through the rpms and drives me nuts. Lol.
Not to mention having a 700ish whp car that sounds pretty stock. It’s cool most times, but it gets boring too.
It’s always the grass is greener situation.

another issue is the wotbox. I was told the stock mufflers are probably gonna explode the first couple times I use it.

Imatk

Established Member
I don't know if something like J Tubes would help you out... but might look into that?

I don't know what exhaust for headers. My Corsa don't drone at all.. but no headers :/

PM-Performance

Established Member
I don't know if something like J Tubes would help you out... but might look into that?

I don't know what exhaust for headers. My Corsa don't drone at all.. but no headers :/

I heard Corsa is where it’s at, but damn are they pricey! If I can find a steal on sports I may consider them maybe.
Seem to be the best of both worlds

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Problem is, no one can tell you will certainty what will drone on your car. Each vehicle model/year is a little different, and it depends on HP, interior insulation, gearing, intake, engine, and the rest of the exhaust.

Finding what you like can sometimes be an expensive game of trial and error. The manufacturers put lots of $ into getting that shit right. Then, we change it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I heard those are obnoxious. Aren’t they just the Borla stingers?

Yes they are made by borla but if i remember correctly borla had 2 types of mufflers made for the gt/gt500.

I dont know with your current exhaust setup, but on the factory manifold and factory mid pipe there wasn't drone with the ford racing/KR mufflers.

Ford Racing Shelby GT500KR Special Edition Mufflers -- M-5230-S

Another option might be are the bullitt mufflers

Ford Performance Mustang Bullitt Axle-Back Exhaust M-5230-GTB (05-09 GT, GT500)

I believe these were the borla stingers that were made for ford racing

Ford Performance 07-09 Shelby GT500 49 State Sport Muffler Set

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Established Member
Problem is, no one can tell you will certainty what will drone on your car. Each vehicle model/year is a little different, and it depends on HP, interior insulation, gearing, intake, engine, and the rest of the exhaust.

Finding what you like can sometimes be an expensive game of trial and error. The manufacturers put lots of $ into getting that shit right. Then, we change it.

So basically it’s a crap shoot. Lol.

PM-Performance

Established Member
PS: I literally just found out Kooks makes mufflers.
While both expensive the Kooks and Corsa sports look nice. Some reports of Kooks droning though

PM-Performance

Established Member
Yes they are made by borla but if i remember correctly borla had 2 types of mufflers made for the gt/gt500.

I dont know with your current exhaust setup, but on the factory manifold and factory mid pipe there wasn't drone with the ford racing/KR mufflers.

Ford Racing Shelby GT500KR Special Edition Mufflers -- M-5230-S

Another option might be are the bullitt mufflers

Ford Performance Mustang Bullitt Axle-Back Exhaust M-5230-GTB (05-09 GT, GT500)

I believe these were the borla stingers that were made for ford racing

Ford Performance 07-09 Shelby GT500 49 State Sport Muffler Set

I know the prior owner has the FR mufflers on and put the stock back on and said it was obnoxious. That was with the cats on too.
Bullitt mufflers look too stock to me.
My fear is with stock type mufflers is same issue, I’m gonna blow them out. My stocks are sounding a little tinny already, so I’m sure they are ready to pop

Recon

Established Member
Might look at some Magnaflows, they have a tame while cruising then rowdy while being wild. I’ve heard they’ll start droning after a while, and the sound they make doesn’t appeal to me. I have “drone free” mufflers from ford racing, on my GT and I can tell you, they drone. Mufflers on my Roush, lots of drone. Just find something that’s tolerable. Drone doesn’t bother me so I’m not much help. But you’re in search of the “perfect muffler set up;” be prepared for trail and errors. We can’t tell you which one is the one for you, as we are not you, you have to make that call. All we can do is suggestions, and hopefully the one for you is in one of the suggestions.

Pick your poison.

Recon

Established Member
You’ll need a tame muffler if you don’t want obnoxious with longtubes, and an off road X.

Pick your poison.

Terrencemitch88

Established Member
I have kooks long tube headers with a off rd x pipe (no cats) with roush mufflers it was way too loud but I added two flo-pro twisters in just before my rear end. Car has no drone period can’t even hear the car cruising around 75/80 mph but once u down shift a few gears and it’s hammer time it’s still loud.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve been there. I made the wife happy and welded stock mufflers back in, then surprised the tuner by still making 1000rwhp thru them.
With 2” headers to 3.5” collectors and 3” pipes to me the stock mufflers are perfect 90% of the time.
For the 10% I added the QTP cutouts.
Nice because you can open them gradually, so even half open may be perfect for the CTSV but when the Redeye guy gets cocky, full open. Cocky goes away then :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread