Advice for purchasing Toy Hauler

C2tuck

Established Member
You can always set a camper up to tow gooseneck instead of 5th wheel. That gives you a lot of extra bed space to work with.

Only if approved by the manufacturer. I’ve seen goose neck conversions that literally ripped the front of the trailer apart and totaled it.

beau t

Established Member
Adding to the towing vehicle part: my buddy has a job where he drives pretty much all day, 2 weeks ago he was coming through Asheville NC in the slow lane and had a guy in a newer ranger pulling a maybe 28ft camper come off of the on ramp and cut him off. He said after he was done cussing at the guy he started thinking how sketchy the ranger/camper being towed looked because of how big the camper was, anyhow the guy in the ranger pulled away from him (he was on a business call and doing the speed limit so no big deal he thought), after going about 5 miles down the road traffic stops. The guy in the ranger laid it and the camper on its side he said it was windy that day and in a curve. So to add to others statement you can pull anything with nothing of a vehicle but braking and handling are the real concern. I think you stated you were getting another tow vehicle, just stressing the importance of a capable tow rig.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't read all the comments, but...
I'll never buy anything but Grand Design. The support I got from them was stellar. Made me a customer for life.
Also, plan on upgrading your brakes from electric drum to electric over hydraulic disc. Makes a HUGE difference!
PM me if you want detailed info of why I have the opinions I do. BTW, my last toy hauler was a weekend warrior

Move on, nothing to see here.

C2tuck

Established Member
I'll never buy anything but Grand Design. The support I got from them was stellar. Made me a customer for life.
Also, plan on upgrading your brakes from electric drum to electric over hydraulic disc. Makes a HUGE difference!
PM me if you want detailed info of why I have the opinions I do. BTW, my last toy hauler was a weekend warrior

Agreed 100%. I’ve had two travel trailers and three 5th wheels, the last one and current one being Grand Design. They are still overpriced for what they are, but their customer service it top notch. Had warranty work done on both with no issues. Actually had my fireplace quit on me a year after the warrantee expired, called to order a new one and they shipped me one at no charge without me even asking.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It's that kind of support that will keep me buying their product.
Agreed 100%. I’ve had two travel trailers and three 5th wheels, the last one and current one being Grand Design. They are still overpriced for what they are, but their customer service it top notch. Had warranty work done on both with no issues. Actually had my fireplace quit on me a year after the warrantee expired, called to order a new one and they shipped me one at no charge without me even asking.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you. I think I am on the right track as Grand Design are currently in my top two. From my research so far we really like the Grand Design Momentum G Class (21G, 23G, and 25G) and the Northwood Desert Fox (21SW and 24AS).

Someone else made a suggestion about hitting the RV shows and that's exactly what we plan to do. I am tempted to go check out the above toy haulers in person ASAP but I have a feeling I will leave with one if I do. Also, I don't think my truck will be delivered until November or December so no need to rush. My current truck will handle the above trailers but when you factor in family, food, toys, and gear it will be pushing it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd take one of these:

8-11-LE-White.jpg

Grey-interior-3-1024x683.jpg

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks for your help everyone, I have the truck now just waiting for the upcoming RV show. It came in a couple of weeks ago and we are very happy with our decision to purchase it. Absolutely love the truck so far, for a HD it rides surprisingly smooth and its definitely a step up from my 17 F-150. Vroom ended up offering me 2200 more for the F-150 than I paid for it back in 2018.

Its a 22 Laramie and we ended up getting it 2% below invoice. If anyone is looking for a new truck plan to order if you want to save money. I have not found a dealership willing to budge off sticker for on the lot inventory.

IMG_20211120_110655947_HDR by Leonard Riddick, on Flickr
IMG_20211120_110643650 by Leonard Riddick, on Flickr
IMG_20211120_110856708 by Leonard Riddick, on Flickr

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats. You're going to have lots of fun. Keep us updated on your travels. You should start a travel thread. You could call it the Chronicles of Riddick.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

**** Biden

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but are there any toy haulers out there that don't have slide outs? Where my trailer will end up being stored makes it difficult to have slide outs. I might be ok with having the bedroom as a slide out as I won't need to get to it while the trailer is parked. But having a slide out blocking the rest of the inside of the trailer means I'd have to pull it out to do anything inside.

I'm looking at 5th wheel set ups.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but are there any toy haulers out there that don't have slide outs? Where my trailer will end up being stored makes it difficult to have slide outs. I might be ok with having the bedroom as a slide out as I won't need to get to it while the trailer is parked. But having a slide out blocking the rest of the inside of the trailer means I'd have to pull it out to do anything inside.

Which models are you looking at? The ones I have been looking at are made by Grand Design and they all have at least one bump out. However, you can still easily walk throughout the hauler even when its not extended.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

That's not always true. I can get through mine with the slideout in, though I can't open the refrigerator door all the way or the bathroom door at all. Sometimes I slide it out just a couple inches to make it easier to get around or to get into the bathroom. If you can swing the slideout, definitely get it. So much extra room!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was looking at the Grand Designs. I found one that only had the bedroom as a slide out and I was ok with that.

The reason I was asking is I currently have a friends travel trailer in the spot where my trailer will eventually go. His has a slide out and we had to get pretty precise with the parking to get clearance for the slide out and be able to walk between the trailer and my shed.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I made a similar thread a while back, my wife and I wound up going and looking at a Keystone Fuzion.... 371 I think. Dual axle with 11' garage. Apparently my Can Am X3 will fit, but the tires will be touching the front wall and the door when closed. I think one of the triaxle 4xx models with longer garage is probably better suited for me. Overall though it was really nice, better than expected to be honest. We are still looking, might pull the trigger on one over the winter.

Good choice bumping up in truck. Towing a decent size camper/toyhauler with a half ton would be a white knuckle experience for sure, any cross wind and you'll be getting drug all over the road.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think what's going to help us is the trailer will be the last piece of the puzzle. We already have the truck. Around new years we'll be shopping and hopefully buying a side by side. Then once I have my spot back we'll get the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread