Advice for a 01 cobra

airstang93

Established Member
Im about to purchase an 01 Cobra vert with 66,000 miles. Its all stock, wihch is what i want so i know all the work that will be done to it is done correctly. My question to you is, what do you think is the first mod i should invest in? I was thinking the exhaust, which is the first thing i have always done.. if you think that is a good idea, what set ups are u guys liking? i havent owned a cobra let alone any stang newer than a 93 so im still learning these new edge cobras... any input is appreciated

cotySRT-4

Established Member
your question is way to broad. Are you looking more for styling or power or wat? What kind of power mods u plan on doing later on down the line such as turbo or s/c? Budget? If you were gonna stay na personally I would do 4.30 gears, ,mgw shorth throw, exhaust bassani x pipe w/ borla stingers or if you like it really loud LM1. subframe connectors help a ton and make a huge difference. And if you are mainly for looks throw some H&R lowering springs or if you can afford coil overs then go that route. If you decide to do lowering springs go talk to predator bird. He has the best stance imo...

Bite Me

Established Member
He just asked what the best first mod to do is this isnt that difficult to answer.

Sound and some performance - exhaust, take your pic and listen to the exhaust clips that you can find all over. My choice is slp lm2's or a mac catback. SLP quality is top notch, but its pricey. You should get an H or X at the same time.

Looks - lower it. The 4x4 look ruins these cars. I have eibach pro-kit and it looks good and rides good. Most go with H&R springs, but I havent been in any cars with them on so I cant comment on ride characteristics.

Then keep on going down the line. Once you get to engine mods you need to decide FI or NA, then buy accordingly.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Exhaust I went with magnaflow off road x pipe wont believe the difference in sound! I wanted something with a rumble but not so loud it sounds fake. You can cruse on the highway without being deaf and it sounds like a beast when you jump on it

Good luck with choosing the first mod is always the hardest

fangs99

Established Member
the first mod I'd go with is a good set of sub-frames. then exaust/CAI. As far as sound goes my best advice is youtube. I will say that the mid-pipe makes the biggest difference in sound, and is about half the price or less of a good cat back kit.

Last edited:

JDrake

Established Member
First mod should be... trade it in toward an 04 Cobra.
:lol: besides this, the first thing that i did was cut the stock springs and change the exhaust. If you want an extra 50 horses to play with then go full exhaust (long tubes, o/r x,h or prochamber and a catback). Dont forget a tune!!

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Bought an 01 about 6 months ago my first mod was slp with the stock h and all sounds great....obviously I upgraded I'm now running a Mac pro-chamber for the mid pipe ...sounds great ...also as stated lower it. But word of advice if u plan on upgrading to 18s it should go with out saying wait til u get them then lower. Seen guys get ^in a hurry drop their cars then get 18s and don't fit lol.
Just my 2 cents

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
This topic is covered almost weekly. If you do some searching or read the sticky at the top you will find a great list of first mods/bolt ons for your new 99/01 Cobra. Congrats on your purchase.

But word of advice if u plan on upgrading to 18s it should go with out saying wait til u get them then lower. Seen guys get ^in a hurry drop their cars then get 18s and don't fit lol.
Just my 2 cents

Don't know why..the over all diameter of the tire should stay in the same neighborhood with a 17 or 18 inch wheel. The only thing that's going to change is the "profile" of the tire, which will obviously be smaller with a 18" tire vs a 17. My 315/35/17 tires were 25.8" tall..my 345/30/18s are 26.1 tall..that .3" shouldn't make a stance go from looking good to not fitting.

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Buddy of mine had 17s on a 96 cobra cut the coil springs. A month or 2 later he traded for some 18s the tire profile was pretty close I wanna say they scrubbed when he turned not all the time I mean it's not a huge deal. Just the way I did it. I waited til I got my tires n wheels I wanted ^in the car and dropped it accordingly.

And besides I'm not some awesome know it all andhave never claimed to be so.....

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
the first mod I'd go with is a good set of sub-frames. then exaust/CAI. As far as sound goes my best advice is youtube. I will say that the mid-pipe makes the biggest difference in sound, and is about half the price or less of a good cat back kit.

+1000 for Full length subframe connectors. A world of difference in my coupe

airstang93

Established Member
thanks for all the input... picking her up today.... oh and shes already lowered and a K&N filter so its not completely stock... im thinking exhaust and gears will do it...

Last edited:

airstang93

Established Member
As for trading it in for a 03/04, you loan me the cash and i will surely do it.... that will be another project for me to attempt to but later...

GTOBobby

Established Member
thanks for all the input... picking her up today.... oh and shes already lowered and a K&N filter so its not completely stock... im thinking exhaust and gears will do it...

Don't forget the camera so we can all see her. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread