Aduio Questions

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Audio Questions

So audio stuff is a weak point for me. I am running the factory Mach 460 but I swapped the head unit a year or two ago to the Clarion VX709. I am looking to add a small sub-woofer to add some depth to my audio/music experience in my car. I am not quite sure what I need in order to complete this really.

HU I have: Clarion VX709 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Subs I was looking at:
Amazon.com: Pyle PLBASS10 10-Inch Low-Profile Super Slim Active Amplified Subwoofer System: Car Electronics

JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 MicroSub™ slot-ported enclosure with one 8" W3v3 subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I think I need an amp to go with these? But how does this all wire up? I have an odd feeling I would have to re-wire all my speakers to run off the new amp and ditch the Mach 460 stuff to make this work?? Or is their someway to add a sub to the Mach 460 without doing so?

edit: whoops on the title typo..

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
The first one is a subwoofer mounted in an amp lol, doesnt look like a good idea. The second would need an amp. When you run wires, your going to need to run a power wire from the battery to the trunk, a remote wire and a set of rca inputs from the back of the stereo to the amp(aftermarket) in the trunk. Then speaker wire from the amp to the sub.

You wont mess with any of those other wires for the stock amp system and speakers. As far as how much and what kind and size of wires, depends on the size of the amp, you can get power loss and/or power restriction with too small of wire, or could push too much power and melt the wire.

Its not hard, just make sure to look at RMS power rating not max, the RMS on the speaker should closely match the RMS on the speaker.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
Just make sure the rms on the amp and sub match closely, with the rms on the speaker being higher of course you wouldnt want to blow anything.

No it doesnt really matter much on the channels, its all in the wiring, you can get a 4 channel amp or 2 channel amp, if you get a 4 channel, Id suggest a DVC(dual voice coil) sub. Optimally you would go with just a class D mono amp if your only plan is to run 1 sub.

I know you were just summarizing but just for clarity, you need a remote and a ground wire too.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Can the 460 be ditched for solid component sets front and rear and still have good bass without an actual sub?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Can the 460 be ditched for solid component sets front and rear and still have good bass without an actual sub?

it would be better than stock (anything is) but it wouldnt really be like having a sub, let the components take care of the mids/highs and the sub do the lows.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Can be, but will cost more.

it would be better than stock (anything is) but it wouldnt really be like having a sub, let the components take care of the mids/highs and the sub do the lows.

I was hoping to ditch the weight of the 460 rear deck, get a quality 4 channel with a pair of components and not have to worry about pulling a sub box when I go to the track.

If I did go with a sub I guess I'd use the Stealthbox and a set of components front only. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread