Adobe illustrator help

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Can anyone tell me why my DXF files are not coming out like i traced them in illustrator? I can trace it then save as a DXF. When I open it, a lot of lines (features) are missing.

I've watched many YouTube tutorials and I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I am tasked to laser etch this on some trophys the company I work for is sponsoring.

(Attached is a screen shot and the original low red picture)

FB_IMG_1713667617571.jpg

FB_IMG_1713667634025.jpg

rborden

Established Member
Trace has never worked like it should, in my opinion. It's always been sloppy and comes out looking undesirable.

What version of AI are you using?

If you want to shoot me a pm with your email, I can send you over a tutorial pdf that might help.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
What version of AI are you using?
I assume the newest. It was purchased within two weeks at work and I just installed it Friday evening on my home pc to attempt to get this done for Monday morning.

Sometimes when I image trace things, some things will be color filled when all I did was trace. Very strange. I wish there was a free and precise tracing software.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I was able to use Inkscape to trace it. So no need to use Adobe Illustrator on this project. However, I will still keep trying to figure it out.

I do like how Adobe randomly color fills in things. I have no idea what I'm clicking what I get it to do it lol.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
First off, work on it as a native AI file until finished. Then save as your dxf file.

There's a ton of settings you can play with before doing the auto trace with regards to how tight it pulls the lines, how many colors, etc etc etc.

You are going to have to play with the settings until you get something close to usable. Then you'll get to go in and tweak those lines.

Sometimes, it's a LOT easier to start from scratch than to try and make something work.

To get line art only out of that image will likely require a decent amount of hand work.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
First off, work on it as a native AI file until finished. Then save as your dxf file.

There's a ton of settings you can play with before doing the auto trace with regards to how tight it pulls the lines, how many colors, etc etc etc.

You are going to have to play with the settings until you get something close to usable. Then you'll get to go in and tweak those lines.

Sometimes, it's a LOT easier to start from scratch than to try and make something work.

To get line art only out of that image will likely require a decent amount of hand work.
Thanks for the tips. When things have bad edges or low resolution, I usually get better results when I cut out and stroke features in photoshop then convert it.

Unfortunately, when we do trophys for be benefits like this, the low red art is just handed down to me.

With that said, I decided to message the FB group and see if I could get a high rea copy. She ended up sending me a similar image done with just lines. I used that and elementa of the original to do it. We started lasering early yesterday between production jobs.

With that said, this is what I came up with. I think it's around 3.5hrs laser time per cutting board trophy. Just the middle section took five different ops doesn't have enough memory.

IMG_20240424_170014668.jpg

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Thanks for the tips. When things have bad edges or low resolution, I usually get better results when I cut out and stroke features in photoshop then convert it.

Unfortunately, when we do trophys for be benefits like this, the low red art is just handed down to me.

With that said, I decided to message the FB group and see if I could get a high rea copy. She ended up sending me a similar image done with just lines. I used that and elementa of the original to do it. We started lasering early yesterday between production jobs.

With that said, this is what I came up with. I think it's around 3.5hrs laser time per cutting board trophy. Just the middle section took five different ops doesn't have enough memory.

View attachment 1838092
It's pretty rare to get the low res images to generate anything usable. I've always treated it like this, and say it as such to my customers "someone, somewhere, had this hi res image to start with - if you want the same quality and the same image, you're going to have to track down whoever did/sent the artwork to the shirt company or whoever". That, or I give them a number for how long it would take me to recreate the artwork. In the case of the one you had, there would be hours and hours of work. Nothing motivates people more than the prospect of having to spend a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread