Adding VMP/Roush blower this summer...advice?

Stangra

Established Member
↑↑↑ +1 for this! ↑↑↑

I thought VMP was in the process of getting CARB certified but it's been a few years and still no E.O. #. Wonder what happened? I'm guessing lots of sales lost because of this.

TType85

Established Member
↑↑↑ +1 for this! ↑↑↑

I thought VMP was in the process of getting CARB certified but it's been a few years and still no E.O. #. Wonder what happened? I'm guessing lots of sales lost because of this.

I wonder if the number of sales lost vs the extortion that CARB charges to certify for all the model years makes it a hard thing to justify doing.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow,......I always thought that VMP did all their equipment and tunes to be fully emissions compliant??

cheeser

Established Member
Living in Colorado does make it a bit easier for emissions than when I lived in California.

Thats another question I need to ask VMP though...I want want everything turned on as far as sensors and such.

I am going with the Stage 1 kit after thinking about it. If my goal is to be happy with 575-600 rwhp, is there any reason to upgrade to the dual 67mm throttle body vs the dual 60mm that comes with the kit? Maybe the 82mm pulley vs the 85mm that normally comes with the kit. The elevation in Denver does drop us in power, thus a few minor tweaks may be needed.

I was a bit disappointed in my initial email with VMP...first person that replied seemed more interested in how much power his car made vs what I wanted. Need to actually call and talk with someone in the next few weeks and pull the trigger.

Stangra

Established Member
Wow,......I always thought that VMP did all their equipment and tunes to be fully emissions compliant??
A lot of what they sell isn't emissions compliant in CA, and they wont sell this stuff to CA without a signed waiver acknowledging the implications of this equipment.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot of what they sell isn't emissions compliant in CA, and they wont sell this stuff to CA without a signed waiver acknowledging the implications of this equipment.
Now that you mention that, I did read that myself.
I'm in MA and we have strict emissions as well. I wonder if I wanted a VMP Gen 3 if I could get one here in MA? Probably so. Maybe this just affects CA?
That sucks man. But to be honest, the Roush supercharger is pretty ballsy as well and can handle some power. Good luck man!

Stangra

Established Member
I wonder if I wanted a VMP Gen 3 if I could get one here in MA? Probably so. Maybe this just affects CA?
That sucks man. But to be honest, the Roush supercharger is pretty ballsy as well and can handle some power. Good luck man!
I agree with probably so. I think I could get one in CA too, just need to sign their emissions waiver (basically affirming I'm aware it's legal for off-road vehicle only in CA, and aware of the consequences). Not much chance of passing a smog check with it though.

cheeser

Established Member
...Even after reading many posts about doing the OPGs I didn't realize just how difficult it was going to be to re-install the lower bolt for the oil pump pickup tube, this might help. I cut a piece of plastic (empty milk bottle) used a cheap paper hole puncher to put a perfect size hole in it and cut a slot to get the bolt into the hole. Bent it about 45* along length for a little rigidity. This inserted between the captive washer & bold head allowed me to align the bolt and feed it into the hole while turning it gently by the threads using needlenose until started. Once started.... WHEEEEW! the rest was easy! Don't forget to put some clean rags underneath in the pan to stop any parts or tools from dropping in!View attachment 1555347
Since you're replacing anyway, this is a lot easier with the radiator out.

I battled taking out the one bolt for almost an hour...just couldnt get my fingers in there to turn it. The ratching wrench I have was a bit too large to help much. I then remembered I had some small ignition wrenches that are really small...that helped.

I used your tip for the piece of plastic...worked like a champ. I was able to install this bolt and tightened down in about 3 minutes...I was amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread