Adding "resonators" after catless X pipe

Intervention302

Established Member
I really like my current exhaust setup that was Mac headers, off-road prochamber, then magnapack catback. Loud, throaty, but not a lot of drone or rasp. I believe the prochamber is the reason I love my setup

Anyway, I am installing cams and other items this spring and I needed/wanted to upgrade to ARH headers. That's means dumping the prochamber for a catless Xpipe.

Build should be done in a month or so

I already purchased the headers and Xpipe. I am however considering trying to add in some "bullet resonators" to help tone it down. Granted I have no idea, I may even like it as is. But, I'm thinking it may be too raspy.

Some other member convinced ARH to weld some mini mufflers in replacement of the cat pipes. I asked ARH and they told me they wouldn't do it, or that my car had to be there for the install.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to add in maybe 3" dynomax mini race mufflers, or these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...PjTegx-l_lnBGQWiYd2ROCj5q4ixmZD4aAt_yEALw_wcB

Any thoughts? Anybody use these as sort of a resonator?
fe5e9252ae3b9d8b7d0017dab4b8acb7.jpg
a44542f83207f2a5e600d177d6338165.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I added in some resonators years ago in my old 2.5” catback. I have a thread up with pics I’m sure you can search and find. It made a very welcome change in tone and cleaned up all the nasty high pitched noise.

MastaAce03

Established Member
I added some resonators to my GT500 and was very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intervention302

Established Member
I added in some resonators years ago in my old 2.5” catback. I have a thread up with pics I’m sure you can search and find. It made a very welcome change in tone and cleaned up all the nasty high pitched noise.
Here it is. I made a how to for getting resonators into Bassani X-pipe without welding into it. But you can adapt the concept or modify and do your own way.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...thout-welding-on-your-bassani-x-pipe.1014598/
Thanks Malcolm I'll look into this

Comp04svt

Established Member
I was the one who did the ARH resonators. I wish I had measurements of them for you. I couldn't find any specs on them from the ARH paperwork I have when I got that X from them. my car is in storage currently until spring decides to get here. If you wanted to hold out a bit longer, I can get some measurements for you though, just let me know.

Those resonators that Malcolm posted would work great for you I'm sure though. Just like Malcolm posted, they make a huge difference in the sound/tone. I'm sure you'll be happy with them!

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
The Prochamber really is a great mid-pipe for straight thru style mufflers; its like a muffler itself. Resonators will help but I think the magnapacks and o/r x will still make for a loud and raspy setup. Maybe try switching over to the oval Magnaflows and go from there.

Intervention302

Established Member
I was the one who did the ARH resonators. I wish I had measurements of them for you. I couldn't find any specs on them from the ARH paperwork I have when I got that X from them. my car is in storage currently until spring decides to get here. If you wanted to hold out a bit longer, I can get some measurements for you though, just let me know.

Those resonators that Malcolm posted would work great for you I'm sure though. Just like Malcolm posted, they make a huge difference in the sound/tone. I'm sure you'll be happy with them!
Any help would be great!

Just sell them to me ;)

The ARH midpipe is 3" and would need 3" baffles
The Prochamber really is a great mid-pipe for straight thru style mufflers; its like a muffler itself. Resonators will help but I think the magnapacks and o/r x will still make for a loud and raspy setup. Maybe try switching over to the oval Magnaflows and go from there.
I still have the oval mufflers somewherez

Here are 2 sets of magnaflow race mufflers I found.

Both are 12" in total length, with the muffler Portion only being 6". 3" in and 3" out.

One is 5*8 and the other is 6" round.

One I fear may hit the tranny, the other may hit the ground.

I still may decide on one of these and try to make it work
cb5adc423fa75a7ae0f468e16a0b3300.jpg
73b7e87d40644cc122256514d8d4fb24.jpg
f5e6522aa0558a98b70ce69ec4c69ff1.jpg

836d57228237e7435d9157253ef629e4.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
For what it's worth I noticed the oval mufflers deaden sound more than the straight round ones if that's what you're after. Ever since going high compression and turning things up my car got ridiculously loud. It's been a huge issue trying to keep noise levels down to where it doesn't sound like a full on race car driving around and hurting people's ears under WOT. I've swapped out a few mufflers playing around and found the largest ovals I can fit do a better job than the largest round diameter I could fit. Your mileage may vary....

Intervention302

Established Member
I decided to try these much cheaper, and smaller ones.

They won't be as effective I'm sure, but I'll try it

8c4f9daa6a71fa60c4ddc488d9672f5a.jpg

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
These should fit. How functional, that's yet to be seen
84d495460f0a9c1bab0a0fb22c4e31f8.jpg
682e20853e2e62f8c434a552a17115d4.jpg
730b49731aa9aa093420f3d35db64c7a.jpg

Comp04svt

Established Member
Any help would be great!

Just sell them to me ;)

The ARH midpipe is 3" and would need 3" bafflesI still have the oval mufflers somewherez

I had my car out finally and got it on my hoist. The mufflers/resonators measure 10" overall in length from connection to connection. The muffler body measures 6" in length. The overall diameter measures 15". They are slightly oval. They are of course 3" in/out. I hope that helps!!:)

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
I picked up a pair of Vibrant resonators part# 1141 which I plan to install right after the headers where the cats normally are. They are oval shaped, the build quality looks excellent and they are fairly heavy. The goal is just to tame the exhaust note down a bit while maintaining plenty of V8 rumble. My only concern is ground clearance.
61aaND8Q6ML._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread