Adding an Intercooler soon...Any guesses on RWHP numbers?

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Ok so I called up DynoSpeed Racing yesterday and ordered the Paxton Intercooler setup to go along with my Vortech V-2. In June of last year I had my non-intercooled setup on the dyno at DynoSpeed Racing and had it tuned to a conservative 378rwhp and 345rwtq @ 6psi (in 94 degree heat). In November I had the block torn down and threw in a set of Mahle forged pistons @ .020 overbore with a dishtop and 9:1 compression. I'm looking for much better numbers but thought I'd see what you guys think my new numbers could look like around 10-12psi. Any guesses? I'll post my new sheet as soon as the install and new tune are done. Here's my Dyno Sheet from June (without my new pistons):

DynospeedRacingDynoJune08.jpg

Last edited:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Honestly, I would be happy with 425-450 :) ....anything over 450 I would be thrilled! :rockon: :pepper: Can't wait to see what happens.

Furinox

Established Member
might want to look into buying a boostapump or doing something with your fuel system if you havent.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
42lb injectors, SVT Ford Focus Pump already installed. Along with BBK long tubes, Flowmasters and SCT MAF...also have a SCT X3

Last edited:

b00sted4v

Established Member
On centri blower thought a lot of people use the flat top pistons to keep stock compression and if go turbo run dished?

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I may be wrong but a lot of the drag race guys, street guys and street/drag guys have told me that if you want the most power and quick drag car go with flat tops (supercharger or turbo) because the compression will be higher but that also requires higher octane fuels and more of it to decrease the chance of detonation. On the flip side, I've been told if I want to make decent usable street power that you can't go wrong with dish for engine life at moderate rwhp numbers ie. 400-500.

Basically, I'm on my third motor, so I decided to go with dish tops to lower the compression and hope to make 450-475rwhp in a safe manner for an extended period of the car's life. That may all sound crazy or wrong but it made sense to me.

crazystang25

Established Member
higher compression means you cant run as much boost and boost nets you more hp than compression. so like if you ran 9:1 instead of 11:1 with full bolt ons you would be somewhere around like 270-290 at the wheels depending on tune (we'll just say pump gas for now) and mods where with 11:1 you would have like 330 correct me if im wrong, to make up those numbers you would need like 2 extra pounds of boost, and if your runnin 11:1 you could only run like 5 lbs of boost on pump gas and with the 9:1 you could run up to 15 lbs depending on how its tuned on pump gas. 9:1 with 15 lbs on pump gas can get you around 500 hp +/- depending on mods, 11:1 with 5 lbs can get you low 400's +/- depending on mods! you get more hp with each lb of boost than with each unit of compression.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
42lb injectors, SVT Ford Focus Pump already installed. Along with BBK long tubes, Flowmasters and SCT MAF...also have a SCT X3

Your probably going to run out of fuel. I just had mine tuned with a v1 aftercooled system, and I had to add a boostapump. I am running a ford gt pump which is supposed to flow more than the focus pump. You might as well get an mafia also. I was running a pro-m air meter and pegged it at 5800 rpms. I had to buy a mafia. I am now making 462 rwhp and the countdown until the motors timebomb goes off begins.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Thanks...I figured I probably would run out of fuel because I came close to pegging the SVT Focus Pump the last time I was on the dyno. I'm speaking with Dynospeed Racing now about doing all the proper fuel upgrades and installs while my car is there. I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed so I can have safe, reliable, decent rwhp numbers.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Looks like this what all I'll be adding...if my car budget allows all of it:

Parts:
Paxton air to air intercooler
Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump
Diablosport Mafia
Vortech 10 lb pulley
Serpentine Belt

BadZ06

Established Member
Injector Flow Rate (lb/hr) = Engine HP(1) x BSFC(2) / Number of Injectors x Injector duty cycle(3)

@43.5 psi ( FUEL PRESSURE @ RAIL ) or 3 bar you would need 39.06 LB injectors to support 500 FWHP. This is with 80% DC. You might want to upgrade to 60# injs.

Last edited:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
:??: If I were going to be running over 43.5psi you'd be right. But I'm not even going to be running 1 bar (or 14.6 psi) and have 42lb injectors with a possible 10-11psi and should make close to, or over, 450rwhp. I'm only running 6psi now and make 380rwhp with 42lb injectors. I could see going to 60s if I were wanting 600rwhp or better but I think there are plenty of guys here making the power I'm wanting with 42lb injectors at about 85% duty cycle. You don't have to run high psi to make 500hp...the goal is to make the most hp with the least psi.

Last edited:

BadZ06

Established Member
The 43 PSI was fuel pressure at the rail. not boost. Was just offering some other numbers for ya. Is still a nice build not matter how ya slice it.

:shrug:

Last edited:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Ok, I gotcha. But if 39lb injectors are rated at 400-500rwhp and 60s are good for up to around 650rwhp or better then why shouldn't 42s be good for 450-500?

BadZ06

Established Member
There good for no doubt. But if you get close to max DC then it would benifit you to have larger injectors. This would also leave you room to expand and add more power later without worrying about fuel delivery. You also need to keep in mind the numbers from the math are power at the crank not ground.

Good looking car BTW

Last edited:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment on the car and for opening my eyes to the injectors. I've emailed my tuner to get his opinion. I just finished reading http://www.yourperformancesource.com/fordracing42lbhrfuelinjectorshighimpedence.aspx and this is quote from their page on the 42lb injectors:

"Bosch 42lb (442cc) injectors; known as green top injectors. This set of 8 is a High Impedance (Saturated) injector. These injectors are a must for high output naturally aspirated or boosted applications. And are capable of supporting up to 600 RWHP at 43.5 psi naturally aspirated. And are capable of supporting 465 RWHP at 43.5 psi boosted application. These figures are based on BSFC of .60 actual results can vary depending on fuel rail pressure."

So this states I should be good to 465rwhp....do you think I could make more than that? As far as expanding goes if I got to that point (ie. 450-460rwhp) I'd probably stop. I know everyone says that but I'm really not looking for a 600hp car with this particular car. I'm saving that for my next project...soon :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread