Adding an H pipe crossover to an off-road X pipe?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I know this is gonna sound odd but has anyone added an H pipe crossover to an existing off-road X pipe? Either in front of the X or after? Reason I ask is I recently bought the ARH off-road X pipe with their Longtube headers to go in my 03 Cobra. They also sell an H pipe section but at a price of $460 +/- I’m wondering if the sound will change more with the H in front of the X or with h it after. My biggest question though is has anyone done it and what were your experience regarding the sound. I realize this is a long shot but a number of years back I remember it being discussed. There is a plenty of room to add the H after the X in my mid pipe if I decide I want to change the sound. There may be room in front of the X as well. For all you sound frequency experts and geniuses out there would one way verse the other produce a different sound and which way would the sound favor depending which crossover is in front of the other?

Thanks for any kind of info possible. For those asking why add and not just swap it is due to price as well as it would be very easy for me to add the H into the existing pipe I have if it will work! I doubt there is a threat of it sounding like complete dogchit but if it did I can easily remove it and return it to Its original X pipe state. Plus the thought of having something that sounds similar to each depending on RPMs and having a different (better) sounding system interests me.

One more thing, I will be adding straight through resonators/ Bullet style mufflers where the cats would be.

Thanks
Ken

Last edited:

claybeatz

Established Member
Whichever comes first will produce the fundamental tone. X pipe gives higher harmonics and overtones but the H afterwards may balance that out a little bit. Having two crossovers will probably give you more backpressure which may make it more fun on the skreet. Lemme know how it sounds!

Users who are viewing this thread