Add a subwoofer & sound system to my 03 Cobra

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I tried to search, got nothing but a blank page.

I have a full Alpine system in my E150 conversion van and we are going to get the wife a new F150 Platinum, so the van is going.

I really don't want to leave the Alpine (CDA-7894 HU, MRV-353 - 5 channel amp, CHA-1214 - 12 disk changer, 12" sub & Polk separates) in the van so I am toying with the idea of putting it all in the Cobra.

Does anyone still make a sub box that will fit in the trunk, of an '03 convertible?

How much trouble will it be to shoe horn all of this in and get it wired up?

I am sure others have added a system to their car, is it worth it?

Thanks for your valuable input.

-Brian

B-O-B'03

Established Member
get some mach 1000 woofers

Do those mount in the trunk?

Guess I need to do some research.

Thanks for the post!

I took out all the OEM gear and installed a Pioneer HU and Memphis Audio speakers and amp.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/interior-exterior-modifications-212/914190-stereo-installation-adios-mach-460-a.html

That looks awesome :thumbsup:

How long did it take and how much trouble was it to, basically, field strip the interior?

What are the dimensions of the amp?

My Alpine is roughly 17 X 11 X 2.5

Here is a pic of what I have, pretty sure the sub will not work (kinda want some trunk space) and I probably will need to replace the stock rear speakers, so I might just get new for the front too, since I noticed the installer placed one of the Polks where it was being pressed on by the door panel and it has a small crack in it. Also not sure if the bezel will fit in the double din hole in the Cobra.

Or, I could sell it all and buy mods :shrug:

Wonder what it all is worth, if anything?

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks,

-Brian

Anabolic

Banned

Thanks for the post!

How long did it take and how much trouble was it to, basically, field strip the interior?

Here is a pic of what I have, pretty sure the sub will not work (kinda want some trunk space) and I probably will need to replace the stock rear speakers, so I might just get new for the front too, since I noticed the installer placed one of the Polks where it was being pressed on by the door panel and it has a small crack in it. Also not sure if the bezel will fit in the double din hole in the Cobra.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks,

-Brian

yes they mount in the trunk. It's the upgraded version of the mach 1000, came on Gt premiums and some cobras i think

Zemedici

Established Member
yes they mount in the trunk. It's the upgraded version of the mach 1000, came on Gt premiums and some cobras i think

correct, mounts under the rear window in the trunk. Comes on the mach 460. Its a nice little bump, I'm sure with an aftermarket head unit it'll sound really good. And is factory.

Adding stereo equipment is always a plus in my book. However, this car may be a bit tricky with the pods in the door, there's a lot of speakers in this car!

mdever12

Established Member
honestly, from having a loud spl system in my 94 camaro, I would never put anything with a good amount of bass in my cobra. Your speakers are probably just for sq, so they probably wouldn't beat your cobra to sh*t. look either on ebay, sonicelectonix, or crutchfield for a box

B-O-B'03

Established Member
the mach 1000 subwoofers are actually behind the wheel wells in the trunk. (next to fuel pump cut off and filler neck)

From the few searches I did they only fit coupes, not convertibles :shrug:

Thanks,

-Brian

mustanginky

Established Member
it's not that bad to gut it all and replace with other speakers. i did it in my car, albeit not a cobra but a 2000 gt. i don't have any pics right now. just gut all the mach 460 nonsense, including the box in the rear, and mount up your current setup.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member

Thanks for the post!

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks,

-Brian

Removing the interior took about an hour. There are several How-to's to reference. The amp, a Memphis Belle is 22X8X2 inches. Good Luck.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...a-convertible-sound-system-help-mach-1000.jpg

^^^^^^ this is a conv. look at the top.

you could always take your spare out and mount your amp under the spare carpet area, you own't need the deck part. you don't have to replicate the 1000 setup. Just the boxes if you want, this seems to yield the most trunk space too.

Excellent, thanks for that.

Now I just need to find them, I checked epray, no luck, but I added a search/reminder.

Wonder if I need both of them or if I could get away with one and an improved driver.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread