AC leak help (all you 96-04 guys)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried filling my AC a few weeks ago and noticed it's leaking a the low side port..
I finally got around to buy a kit that has the proper Schrader valves in it, and when I went to install it I noticed there is no valve visible. It's a rubber boot type thing over the inside of the port. Do I need to replace the entire hard line? Is it just the o-rings at the connector?

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
So, the port itself will unscrew from the line, but in my experience they can be stubborn if it's been on there a while. Unfortunately, this design didn't use standard Schrader valves, leading to the leaky rubber variants we have on our cars. If you want, you could buy the kit that has new ports, but I'd go ahead and be ready to buy the hard line. I want to say newer hard lines come with Schrader valve ports, since that's what my discharge line has now that it's been replaced, but I'm not 100% certain.

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure what you got at the parts store but some stuff for my 2002 Focus POS wasn’t OEM fit.

Throw a pic of the piece you got.

I got some advice from a friend that used to service AC and if it’s just leaks, you can fix those.

But a lot of times on older vehicles the compressor has thrown a little metal and it’s better to just replace the items that get gummed up.

For example, I found my compressor leaking at the front seal with dye and a UV light.

He told me to do the compressor, dryer/accumulator, and orifice tube.

Sure enough, they were all clogged with gunk.

Hence the huge repair bills when you go to an AC shop. Only way they can somewhat ensure good performance is to replace everything.

Pressurize the system with dye/oil.

Use a $8 UV kit.

Replace the above mentioned parts and any prongs at leaks.

Autozone or Oreilleys rent the gauge kit that you use to refill.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Cobranator

Established Member
I tried filling my AC a few weeks ago and noticed it's leaking a the low side port..
I finally got around to buy a kit that has the proper Schrader valves in it, and when I went to install it I noticed there is no valve visible. It's a rubber boot type thing over the inside of the port. Do I need to replace the entire hard line? Is it just the o-rings at the connector?

How timely that you should post this. I have exactly the same problem to a T. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but I bought the low side port from Rock Auto and also a new low pressure hard line just in case the port is hard to unscrew or something breaks during the removal. If nothing goes wrong during the removal it's relatively a simple fix.Remove old port install the new one and recharge the A/C. If Murphy's law shows up than I'll have to replace the hard line.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
How timely that you should post this. I have exactly the same problem to a T. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but I bought the low side port from Rock Auto and also a new low pressure hard line just in case the port is hard to unscrew or something breaks during the removal. If nothing goes wrong during the removal it's relatively a simple fix.Remove old port install the new one and recharge the A/C. If Murphy's law shows up than I'll have to replace the hard line.

I'll check rock auto I guess. I was hoping to find the parts locally. Anyone have the part # for the low side port?

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I'll check rock auto I guess. I was hoping to find the parts locally. Anyone have the part # for the low side port?
Search for Four Seasons part number 26781. Should have all of the pieces you need, including some spare shrader valves that you won't use.

shurur

Established Member
I think all the hoses for the 2001 will work, but you need to do all the hoses.

I ran in to that with my 1999 even.

I made a list of all the part numbers in a post somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread