AC Compressor failure

Slow99x

Established Member
My AC compressor is making noise and I need to replace it but I don't have the funds due to having fixed a few things on my wife's car. I was wondering if anyone has switched to to a smaller belt to bypass it?

I plan on fixing it but I don't want it to lock up on me

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you saying that the AC compressor is making noise, even if the AC is off. If so than just the clutch is bad. If it only makes noise when it is on then just pull the plug off the compressor so you can still run your defrost without the compressor coming on.

So, noise when off, replace clutch.

Noise when on, replace compressor or possibly just add oil to the system. Oil should only be needed if you have had a slow leak for several years and you have been adding the little cans of 134. Which do not have any oil in them. So each time you added a can you have had a little less oil in the system.

Slow99x

Established Member
The compressor makes noise when the ac is off mostly and a little when it's on. I've never added any oil to the unit because I never knew you had to do such a thing. I never used my ac system when I lived in IL because I mostly drove the car at night and it didn't really get that hot. Now that live in AZ and drive from Tucson to Scottsdale and back.

So how do I replace just the clutch and add oil?

Users who are viewing this thread