AC Compressor Clutch....need help

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I drove my Terminator to the gym the other morning. The temps were decent so I had the windows down and ac off. After my workout I drove to meet my wife for lunch, with the windows up and ac on. As I was driving I noticed the air from the vents got warm and I could smell a wire burning type of odor. I drove maybe six miles and when I arrived at the restaurant and turned my car off, smoke came out from the front and hood vents like it was overheated, but it wasn’t. On the way home I turned the ac off and there were no issues.

I’m pretty sure the ac compressor clutch is shot, which caused this issue. I ordered a new compressor clutch kit and have been trying to install it. I’ve already ran into problems trying to get started and need help.

1. How do you access the tensioner on the back belt system? I can almost get a pry bar into the socket hole, but too much is in the way.

2. There are hoses that barely move and are blocking the compressor clutch. Do I just remove the compressor completely from the car or is there a way to move things around?

Thanks for any help

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I can't help you Brotato Chip. When my compressor clutch went out on the Panther, I found out, after ****in' around with it, that the compressor itself was bad and that's what toasted the clutch. I ended up replacing the whole thing.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't help you Brotato Chip. When my compressor clutch went out on the Panther, I found out, after ****in' around with it, that the compressor itself was bad and that's what toasted the clutch. I ended up replacing the whole thing.
I think it would be easier to just replace the whole thing. If I could get the damn thing off.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It's time to scrap the entire car. I will take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. I won't even charge you for the disposal.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

keith89

Established Member
If you're not going to remove the AC compressor and want to rebuild the clutch on the car, it'll be easier if you remove the pulley bridge to get the serpentine belt off and unbolt the intercooler hard lines at a minimum. You may need to completely remove the intercooler hard lines to make room(i don't recall since I replaced them with 3/4" hose a long time ago).

Users who are viewing this thread