AC Clutch Help

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
Hello again!

When I was at the shop a few weekends ago, my mechanic noticed a squeaking noise from the engine. We went ahead and bought some belt dressing at autozone because the car had been sitting for about 4 months while it was getting rebuilt. The squeaking continued... He then brought out the stethoscope (I know right lol...) and isolated the sound to the AC Clutch. My AC works fine, I just want to get rid of that hideous sound.

Now it's to my understanding that there are three pieces the AC clutch. There's the hub, the clutch, and the clutch coil. The car has 157,000 miles on the chassis. Is it better to replace all three parts or just the one making the sound? Thank you!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The clutch coil should only make noise if something is rubbing it. I've heard an AC clutch/hub "jingle" before but not squeak. These comments don't help your situation but I will say that I personally would replace the clutch & hub and inspect the clutch coil to see if there are any rub spots on it. Replace if necessary.

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
The clutch coil should only make noise if something is rubbing it. I've heard an AC clutch/hub "jingle" before but not squeak. These comments don't help your situation but I will say that I personally would replace the clutch & hub and inspect the clutch coil to see if there are any rub spots on it. Replace if necessary.

Maybe I should post a video then. I'll try to post one up today.

Also, does the brand matter? There's a re-manufactured motocraft a/c assembly for $120 and the off brand ebay ones for $50-60. Autozone and O'Rileys doesn't offer the OEM option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
Here are two video's of the sound. Hopefully it helps identify the squeaking/squealing noise. I need to fix this before Fabulous Fords

Video Clip #1

Video Clip #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread