Absolutely Terrible Night at the Track

blacknbluecobra

Sprayed and Dismayed
Established Member
:whine:So I took my 04 cobra to the track for the first time last night. I haven't had the car very long. I drove like a ass and spun every pass terrible. I never hit the rev limiter. On my last pass the car ran normal not down on power at all,but I noticed a noise on the return road so I went back to the pits. Its a ticking but high pitched. It speed up with revs and noticeable at idle. Its coming from the back of the pass side. Car had a comp test before I bought it looked good. I'm just sick about it. Since the sound is so fast I don't think its bottom end. I almost thought exhaust leak or something in the head. Any light shed on this would be greatly appreaciated.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Do another compression test, if something is out of the ordinary, do a leak down test. And a spun rod won't show up on a comp/leak down test.

LS1toSVT

Established Member
When my buddy spun a rod it sounded more like a hammer smacking the block than a tick. I think FORDSVTPARTS nailed it for you.

mike.b

Established Member
No way I can be sure but it sounds like it, I've seen the head tick show up on plenty of '04s.

-Steve

the heads that fixed the tick were Jan 05 revisions. i think some 04's just got lucky they haven't seen it yet. cheaper to have a machine shop fix your heads than to buy the revisions. just did it with my head gasket job.

oldmodman

Established Member
what exactly causes it?

Poorly made valve guides. if you are going to have to remove the heads get all the guides replaced with good guides. Silicon bronze.

But it may not be that. Several engines have been unlucky enough that they threw a follower. It could cause all sorts of noise as it rattles around in the valve train. At least you were 'lucky enough" that it's on the passenger side and it is possible to get that valve cover off with out a ton of grief.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
i would check for a possible exhaust leak since this was the first time you went to the track with the car.......you just might get lucky and not have hurt the motor.
mine had a slight tick which ended up being (1) missing & (1) loose header bolt on the passenger side.....just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread