ABS module replacement

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
well, i had a leaky ABS module which was confirmed by a mustang shop and i was lucky enough to find one at about $100. i started to take off stuff last night and decided to wait until i have more time (beer) since i know there will be brake fluid everywhere from the lines to the abs. i figure i would wait and not get frustrated at 1am lol. with that being said, any tips on the removal and install? looks pretty straight forward but we all know how that ends up.

thanks,
Leo

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Hey Lobra I think you can swap the module and not crack open the brake system. There was a write up in the new edge Cobro section.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Badass man thank you! I had to get the whole module, pump, lines, brain had silicone all over it. Glad i waited to install it.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
yes i found one on eBay for an 03, i made sure i contacted seller

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
well i got the abs module off pretty easily but reassembly has me giving up. the last line i needed looks like the threads are stripped about halfway. like wtf are you serious? since the line is bulbous at the end where it connects to the module there is no way to swap the 13mm screw part. this is frustrating and i don't want to spend another $100 replacing the whole line. i am going to take a wire wheel and dremel to see if i can get some of the shit off the threads. so damn close....

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
so my pump went on smoothly for the top 4 lines but the side 2 are pretty beat. one has the threads busted internally and the 2nd as you can see has the head stripped. any recommendations and can i use GT lines? the cobra lines are about $100 for the side 2 which is a pain. i saw a pump delete someone was selling on here and was curious about it. so pissed off because i'm so close to being done. any help or recommendations?
IMG_2508_zpsl7dbdot5.jpg

here is the one with busted threads

IMG_2495_zpssrb5qo3b.jpg

and the busted ass pump with silicone on it next to the replacement
IMG_2492_zpsnd74fdgr.jpg

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Damn sorry about your luck I thought you could swap the module without cracking the lines. I've not used the delete but people on here have maybe post in terminator talk.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i ended up cleaning it up with my small dremel and wire wheel and turning it really slow. i got the one with the busted threads fully seated in place, line does not wiggle, neither does the head. i'm assuming its fully seated and tightened down. took about an hour of cleaning it and retrying to secure it but it finally went all the way in. now the other problem child............it spins pretty good but i will probably need small vise grips etc to get to it.

i had to crack the lines because of the whole pump. that damn thing was in terrible shape as you can see above, poor car lol. i should've taken more pics and done a thread how to on it. i followed a video on youtube and a thread which could've saved me an hour at least had i known small tips on it now that i've done it. car whipped my ass yesterday night but i am almost done.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Damn sorry about your luck I thought you could swap the module without cracking the lines. I've not used the delete but people on here have maybe post in terminator talk.

Most people have the electrical part fail, and then you can swap it without doing the plumbing part. Like the OP, mine was leaking brake fluid, so then your only option is to take all the lines off. Mine looked perfect but had brake fluid dripping out the hole with the plastic plug on it. Luckily mine went in without any lines getting messed up.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Most people have the electrical part fail, and then you can swap it without doing the plumbing part. Like the OP, mine was leaking brake fluid, so then your only option is to take all the lines off. Mine looked perfect but had brake fluid dripping out the hole with the plastic plug on it. Luckily mine went in without any lines getting messed up.

yup i agree. you could see the fluid coming out past the silicone so it had to go.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I have this piece on my car. Very high quality piece and each one is made by 1 person. It can take a little bit of time to get it made but the quality is there. Looking back, I wish I had gotten the piece that has the line lock built in.

awesome! any difference with the pump off?

update, thanks to 03DSG for helping give me some info. i ended up getting a flared 13mm and a regular 13mm present and using them both to tighten both down. they were so stripped that it took both to grab and tighten but they're on! i filled up the reservoir and pumped the brakes and they seem solid. tomorrow i will have to bleed the whole system and finish it. any info? read a how to from BAER on bleeding them, any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread