abs light / traction control

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
ok the abs light has been on for a while so today I painted the calipers and cleaned the front abs sensors, for the heck of it I disconnected the battery. Reconnected and the light comes on instantly, now the traction control light is off (it was on before) but the traction control doesn't seem to be active?

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
are the rear tires taller than the front, I'm running MT 295 on the back and 245 on the front, it activated my abs light, and tc is no operational.
. however i need to be going over 40 mph before th abs comes on and then stays on untill i turn car off.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Just do a quick Google search for abs reluctor ring, I don't want to get into all the science behind it. They are outboard on the front axle and inboard on the rear cv's. Just hit them all with some brake cleaner. You'll clean the sensors in the process of cleaning the reluctor wheels. They're only about 1/32" away from each other.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
Update

ok had the ABS checked today here is what :

the scanner could not communicate ? disconnected the module and checked for corrosion looked ok. disconnected battery and checked light comes on immediately so im thinking module?.

I was thinking of swapping the one in my 2001 cobra just to see

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Pretty sure that would be the module my 01 had this happen a year before I sold it scan tool would not communicate. There used to be a sticky on this in the new edge section. You can either look for a used one, or send yours out to be rebuilt.

Zemedici

Established Member
Could not communicate with module means the abs module is bad. Common problem with cobras and mach ones, just snag up a used one and swap it. No biggie.
:beer: had to do it on mine, takes about an hour. Be sure to bleed the brakes.

b_dike

Established Member
Could not communicate with module means the abs module is bad. Common problem with cobras and mach ones, just snag up a used one and swap it. No biggie.
:beer: had to do it on mine, takes about an hour. Be sure to bleed the brakes.

I don't think you even need to open up the brake system. Just swap out the module mounted to the abs "pump" I think it is?

Correct me if I'm wrong

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
ok changed out the module and light went off until I stated moving forward. Before the module change the light would come on instantly now only when the car moves???

oh well

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
You do not have to program the module do you? Also i'm sure you checked but it was from a Cobra or Mach 1 right? GT will not work.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
yes it was a cobra module and I was told by the shop that ran the code we didn't have to program the module.

mhinchley

Established Member
Maybe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121110825517?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Think I am going to send mine to him.

I researched last year cuz trac control does not turn on & occasional ABS light. I swapped master cylinder & fluid, cleaned all sensors.

The symptoms of a failed module on a Ford Mustang
- ABS warning light lit on dash
- TCS off warning light lit on dash
- Inability to communicate with the ABS module through diagnostic software
- Intermittent problem that becomes worse over time or only happens at certain temperatures
- Loss of ABS functionality (wheels lock up when braking on ice or loose gravel)

Last edited:

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
Update

second module installed light still on ! omg

why would the 1st replacement = light off until moving forward a few feet

2nd replacement= instant abs light ok I miss my 01

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Hmm....chance of getting 2 faulty modules are slim to none. Did you buy the modules yourself? Are you SURE they're not using GT modules?

Users who are viewing this thread