ABS light on

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Like the title says, idiot light is on. I am wondering what others who have had this problem have found the problem to be. I have installed 18" wheels/tires fairly recently but also have DM speedcal to correct for this. The brakes feel normal to me, but don't want to get a suprise when it rains. Anyone with input please chime in...thanks!

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Don't have HID's..not sure what lights would have to do with ABS though. I did have some work done with my radio though so mabey they blew a fuse. I will check that.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
or missing fuse! it under the dash. This happened to me one winter. I took the abs fuse out to use it for another thing and forgot I took it out. well for 3 years my abs light was on and one day for what ever reason I checked the fuse and it was not there. I was sooooooooo happy it was just that. I was like what an idiot.

04_SNAKEBITE

Established Member
i pulled the code and I can't remember where but I think it was on this site in the how-to section but they told which code was for what wheel. Each wheel will throw a different code.

uofipilot

Established Member
On my 97 the ABS light would come on most of the time if I turned on the lights (hids) after the motor was running. If you turned them on before you started the car, the light would not come on. From researching it when I had the car, I found that its a somwhat common issue with the hids. My guess is that the draw is so great on the system for a split second when the hids fire up that it trips some voltage requirement for the ABS system.

However, if your light is on all the time, its clearly not the problem. The ABS sensors are fairly delicate, so its possible that one either was broked when the wheels were of or just simply quit working.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Mine isn't throwing any codes. I've been really busy so probably won't get a chance to check fuses til the weekend.

GForceJunkie

Established Member
The ABS system has its own computer. If the Abs light comes on, it's not read from the ECU. There is a way to jump something out and count how many times the ABS light flashes, (the number of flashes gives you the code number). I can't remember exactly how this is done but if you search you should find it somewhere. I bent the ABS ring on the front wheel hub when I replaced my LCA's, it threw the ABS light on, I got the code that said it was the left front and I guess I got lucky seeing the small bend in the ring, I straightened it and all is well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread