ABS light on

coild

Established Member
Hey there!

2004 bone stock Lightning, 91000 miles, and the ABS light came on for the first time about a week ago. At first, in was intermittent, now it is on constantly. Tested the brakes, & yes, with the ABS light on you certainly don't have anti-lock; which of course makes sense.
Now for the big question: is this something maybe fairly simply I can repair myself, or is this a dealer repair? Never had this occur with any vehicle ever, so I am not sure what to expect or do.
Thanks so much!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
abs light could be a wheel speed sensor, cable or the module. You can check the wheels speed sensors and clean them, sometimes they get coated in crap and don't read correctly. The rear one might be in the rear end housing, can't quite remember.

The fact that it was off and on and no staying on I would guess the ABS module. There are places you can either have yours repaired or buy a fixed one and send yours back as a core. If you have a bad module a scanner that works on ABS stuff will come back that it can't connect to the abs module

coild

Established Member
So sorry for such a late response. My 90 year old Dad is not well, and we unfortunately had to transfer him to a 24 hour Skilled Nursing Facility :( Been crazy the last few weeks.

I am looking to replace the ABS module; my question is... where the heck is it located under the hood? Looks like plug & play module? I know they are pricey, any advice on the best place to purchase one? Looks like there are lots of rebuilt ones out there. Would it be ok to go with a rebuilt unit?
Thanks so much!!!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So sorry for such a late response. My 90 year old Dad is not well, and we unfortunately had to transfer him to a 24 hour Skilled Nursing Facility :( Been crazy the last few weeks.

I am looking to replace the ABS module; my question is... where the heck is it located under the hood? Looks like plug & play module? I know they are pricey, any advice on the best place to purchase one? Looks like there are lots of rebuilt ones out there. Would it be ok to go with a rebuilt unit?
Thanks so much!!!

Sorry to hear about your father.

I would say most people go with a refurbed unit, I was reading that there's a couple solder joints that tend to fail.

edit: forgot this was for a lightning, this is where it is on a new edge mustang. You should be able to follow brake lines in the engine bay to the ABS block though.

Look on the passenger side of the radiator down at the bottom. There's a metal ABS block and the computer is attached to it with a connector and a couple or security star bits if memory serves. I don't recall the exact procedure but it's not too difficult, the controller can be removed without removing any brake lines or anything.

BlackStang00

Established Member
The Bosch units on a lot of Ford’s of that era are notorious for this. The module on my old 02 Gt was bad when I bought it. I sent it to some guy on eBay for like 130 and it was back at my door in like 2 weeks. Never had a problem for the next 5 years I owned that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread