ABS braking problem

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got an '03 Cobra vert. I've been losing brake fluid like crazy, lately. Turns out the ABS hydraulic pump is leaking from numerous fittings.

Anybody have experience with this? I haven't pulled it yet, but I can see six fittings of different sizes, and several are leaking, and there's brake fluid all over the ABS Control module, too. What I'm wondering is are these a common point of failure? Is the pump body know to break? Or the fittings back out over time?

Appreciate any info on the matter. I've got the manual, and I'll be pulling it this weekend; but any info I can get on it now would be appreciated.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Can't say I've ever heard of that issue. The block portion of mine has about 123k on it and doesn't leak. I swapped the module at about 95k because it was throwing the ABS light.

Post pictures when you start taking it apart. I'm curious what you find.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
def not common. and esp weird cuz it's more than one lol. i'd put a flare nut wrench on them to see if you can tighten them up before you start pulling the whole unit

Zemedici

Established Member
Can't say I've ever heard of that issue. The block portion of mine has about 123k on it and doesn't leak. I swapped the module at about 95k because it was throwing the ABS light.

Post pictures when you start taking it apart. I'm curious what you find.

same, had an ABS light on my 04, and it was the module.

There's a spot online that repairs them, i took it off and shipped it to dude, fixed it, reinstalled, bam.

I havent heard of the pump itself failing.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
same, had an ABS light on my 04, and it was the module.

There's a spot online that repairs them, i took it off and shipped it to dude, fixed it, reinstalled, bam.

I havent heard of the pump itself failing.
I have the original in a box somewhere. I had thought about sending it off to be rebuilt. The weird part is if I run an ABS scan it says something about the module not matching the VIN. Or something to that affect. So I don't even know if my ABS is working. But I don't have a light so that's a plus.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
def not common. and esp weird cuz it's more than one lol. i'd put a flare nut wrench on them to see if you can tighten them up before you start pulling the whole unit
Will do. Looks easy enough to get to. If I'm looking at the manual correctly, it's located right below the intake air filter housing.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I've also found out that Ford no longer makes this part. And it's not compatible with other years of Mustangs! And if I do find it, it's around $750.00-ish. If I can't find a dealer that has it, I'll be scouring junk yards. There is an alternative though: a company called SVE makes an "ABS Delete-Block." A plain hunk of milled aluminum that accepts the six fittings. Everything all in the same place, same size fittings, etc. No more ABS or traction control, but that's better than just consigning the old girl to the garage.

Even found some videos on Youtube to study.

Definitely going to see how tight the original fittings are, first, though. Maybe hit them with some Teflon sealing tape.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's more in front of the engine. Right behind the fan mounted to the frame rail. If you look under the intercooler reservoir you'll see it. I think you can access all the bracket bolts from the bottom.

If something with the block is damaged and you want to keep the ABS let me know. I'll trade you your block for the spare I have. I just want to keep the module since it's original to my car.

Something I've contemplated in the long term was deleting the ABS, but using the brake lines from a non ABS car. I know it would be tedious, but one less thing under hood.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
It's more in front of the engine. Right behind the fan mounted to the frame rail. If you look under the intercooler reservoir you'll see it. I think you can access all the bracket bolts from the bottom.

If something with the block is damaged and you want to keep the ABS let me know. I'll trade you your block for the spare I have. I just want to keep the module since it's original to my car.

Something I've contemplated in the long term was deleting the ABS, but using the brake lines from a non ABS car. I know it would be tedious, but one less thing under hood.
Thanks, I appreciate the info!

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member

Great info in this video for making sure brake lines are fitted, and secured properly.

You might just need to repeat the tightening procedure. Since your ABS lines should be seated properly. But it’s good info to have if you need to pull it apart.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that would be pretty cool. because by eliminating the block, you can now have a line going directly from the m/c to the left front wheel, instead of making that loop from the m/c over to the block and and then back again to the left front wheel. and also uninterrupted lines from the m/c to all the wheels. more simple and logical.

a long time ago i bought 2 abs delete blocks, but still haven't installed either of them them even though the abs dash light on my vert has been on forever. lazy. one is with a realy nice integral line lock solenoid, and one without (just the block). they also included a bracket to mount it to the original bolts in frame so that it isn't just hanging there. iirc it was from a company called prb machining.

to complete the job of installing an abs delete block, you want to: 1) tape off the end of the wiring harness, 2) remove fuses F1.8, F1.17, and F2.29, and 3) pull the bulb from the instrument cluster (or it will always remain on).

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member

Great info in this video for making sure brake lines are fitted, and secured properly.

You might just need to repeat the tightening procedure. Since your ABS lines should be seated properly. But it’s good info to have if you need to pull it apart.
That's great info! You guys are the best.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, no luck finding a new one. I'm down to searching junk yards. In the meantime, I've ordered the SVE delete block. At least this way I can get the old girl back on the road. Driving a Cobra without good brakes is a losing proposition.

Only question now is can I get it inspected?

zemedici: any chance you can recall the name of the outfit that repaired yours?

and, pending that,

04yellercobra: depending on how that goes, I may take you up on your offer for a trade.

The good news is: it's something that's actually pretty easy to get to. Nice bit of space around it to work in. Definitely not the worst thing to get to!

Bad news: all six fittings were nice and tight.

Users who are viewing this thread