??? about ZEX nitrous on an 03

CobraSS

Established Member
I traded my friend a couple of my RC nitro cars for his ZEX nitrous kit. He has a 89 5.0L. He put a blower on it so he didn't want the nitrous anymore. It is a dry system with the purge kit, 75 HP-150 HP.
I have a few questions.

1. Will this kit work on my 03 Cobra, or is there a different kit / way to make it work?

2. Does ZEX sell pills that are only 20-40 HP?

3. Can I hear from someone that has nitrous on their 03 and discuss what HP shot you are running and what you have done to make it work.

4. Will the stock injectors / fuel pump handle a 2.8 pulley and a 30 shot of nitrous?

I have a 2.8 pulley in the mail and was thinking of putting a very small shot 20-30 HP just to make sure I can beat some of the other 03s around here that have the same. Is this pretty much safe?

I am still in the planning stages of this, so any info would be helpful. Thanks

Juiced-03

Established Member
This is funny, I just sold my Zex kit to a member on this board. You can use the Zex kit, but you have to modify it. It is a very simple procedure though. If you guys like I can explain it tomorrow but I am too tired to write out the process. I had the Zex kit on my 03 Cobra with only a 35 shot. Keep this thread to the top so I dont forget to write tomorrow.

Last edited:

CobraSS

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
This is funny, I just sold me Zex kit to a member on this board. You can use the Zex kit, but you have to modify it. It is a very simple procedure though. If you guys like I can explain it tomorrow but I am too tired to write out the process. I had the Zex kit on my 03 Cobra with only a 35 shot. Keep this thread to the top so I dont forget to write tomorrow.

Still waiting :)

Darcsun

Established Member
No. The ZEX kit (which I have for my 95 4.6l T-Bird) will not work. The kit works off the TPS sensor, and the sensor is not the same for the later 4.6 models (I planned on buying a 2002 4.6 GT, but decided against when ZEX informed me of this).

As for using a ZEX kit... it's great on a simple application. Easy to install and such. But I would never trust it on a supercharged motor like the 03 Cobra has. If anything, I would look at a direct port set up lik NOS or TNT makes... they plug right into the injectors and allow for far more precise nitrous delivery.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I hope you are prepared to open up the Zex box to modify a few things. If so then read on. You will need a small allen wrench to remove the screws on the zex box (four on each side) and take off the cover. Then you will see the solenoid. You will see two big black wires coming out of the solenoid. Cut those two wires at the point where it meets the other wires. You can also remove the circuit board inside the box. It only control the wide open throttle activation and you wont need it. You WILL have to use a push button operation swithc on this Zex kit since you wont be able to use the TPS to control wide open throttle. I like the push button method myself anyways. So basically once you have the wires cut off the solenoid, route them through the hole on the Zex box. There should only be two wires coming out that hole. One will be a ground and the other will be a power wire for the solenoid. Now you have the wiring taken care of. Hopefully you know how to rig up a temporary switch (activation) with an arming switch. If you dont know I will explain that too, but I am assuming you know the basics of wiring.

Now once you have the Zex box put back together, you will need to buy two small rubber caps to be put over vacuum line outlets on the Zex box. Place the caps over these two nozzles and secure them with small hoseclamps. The nozzles I am talking about are right next to the outlet for the nitrous nozzle that goes to the intake. You wont need those because their only job is to raise the fuel pressure on the regulator that the 03 cobra doesnt have. Now you can buy jets from NOS which is what I did. You will only need one jet for your desired shot. I believe a 35 shot is about a .028 jet but there is a website that will calculate this for you. I will try to dig it up later for you guys.

Now you must place the nitrous nozzle BEFORE the MAF because the MAF will be the sensor that adds more fuel when you spray. It is very safe as long as you keep the shot under 60hp. I think a 50 shot is perfect although 35 would do nicely :). Hopefully this is clear to you, it may help to have the kit handy while reading this so you know what I am talking about. Your stock injectors and pump will handle the spray fine if you keep the shot at a reasonable limit. 60 is the most I would go on the stock fuel system. Any more questions or clarification and I will be glad to answer. Sorry it took so long to write this, I am just lazy when it comes to long responses :p. All you will need to buy is a jet, a push button switch, small hoseclamps and rubber end caps, and misc. wiring and connectors for a clean install.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
And if you want to be stealthy, you can put the bottle in gym bag like I did and you have a similar setup to the Compucar nitrous in a bag setup! Just get a large enough gym bag from a sporting good store (Adidas made an awesome one!) and buy a small sheet of wood to mount the bottle brackets to. Then place it all in the gym bag and make a small hole for the nitrous line to be ran through. Very stealth and people won't have any idea what it is, except for us ;-)

I hid the Zex box under my filter setup under the hood and most people had no idea it was there, especially at night! And I hid the switches in the center console bucket. I have a new setup I just got last night so I will post pics when the install is all complete (maybe tomorrow).

Last edited:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I had a zex kit on my 94 and it sucked. The wet kit hit twice as strong and didn't blow my engine like it did. Smart system my ass.

Users who are viewing this thread