About to convert my 351W 65 Mustang to FITech EFI

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Man its been a while since I been in this section....

As the title says, about to take the 670 street avenger carb off my 65 351w, and go EFI.

The EFI i researched was the FITech 600hp setup with the fuel commander so I would not have to run a return line. DOes anyone have any experience with this system ? Install ? Like to hear if you are happy with how it runs ect.

I have done a lot of reading and looking at vids, just wanted to get some info from SVT people.

Thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
No experience with that system, but I really like the idea of converting these older cars to EFI. Just too many advantages to pass up.

SM94Cobra

Established Member
I have FiTech in my 69, but opted for a inline Fuel Pump. There is a facebook user group that has some great info I would recommend signing up for. Also, be cautious of the Fuel Commander. There are still some issues out there with over heating pumps. Some guys are getting it to work, but it is more than just plug and play.

Will never go back to a Carb after making the switch. Car runs so much better and continues to get better with more mileage and with it learning how I drive it. One of my top 5 mods on the car. I enjoy driving the car much more now.
Install is pretty simple, just depends on your fuel set up.

You will enjoy the switch. Good luck

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Please keep up informed on this swap. I am having the Holley done now and was talked out of the FiTech. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Ninjak

Established Member
Hey thanks for the replies. So today I went and drilled the hole for the o2 sensor. Made a slight mistake, but I will be able to recover. I had to buy the correct size clamps because the ones that came with my kit must be for 4-5 inch exhaust !

So a quick trip and I have some 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 that will fit. (Mines is 2.75) custom H-pipe. Thanks for the info on the fuel commander. I'm hoping not to have issues. After the repair tomorrow, I should have the system on the car. I'm a little worried about the wire setup, as I suck hard core in the dept, but it seems straight forward.

I'll keep you guys posted.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have the FiTech on my 69 Mach 1 and love it. I originally had a Powerjection 3 and after fighting it for years decided to sell it for the FiTech. I bought the "power adder" version because it has the ability to kick up idle for air conditioning which I've since added to my Mach.

My FiTech has been a pretty trouble free system but I think my past experience on the PJ3 helped that.
1. Install a relay to power the EFI unit.
2. Install a relay to power the fuel pump
3. Run an MSD style box so you have a clean tach signal.
These were things that I learned were necessary to make the PJ3 run and I kept them to insure the FiTech didn't have issues.

I did try to use the timing control and had nothing but troubles so i went back to my stock distributor and everythings good then.

I did have an inline pump that was being fed by the drain hole on the stock tank but while the motor is out I've added a spectra tank with an in tank pump and while I haven't been able to run the car again with the new tank I've tested the pump and its nice and quiet. I love it for the $260 price tag.

Ninjak

Established Member
Update:

Well not a huge one, I had to go to NYC for my cousin's wedding so no movement over the weekend, but I did get the FI on, and connected to the o2 sensor. I also selected a spot for the fuel commander and have the brackets set. I had plan on getting things done today, but flight delays nixed that.

I'll get some stuff going tomorrow.

I have a MSD A6 box so no worries there. I'll look at doing some relays. Good call.

Ninjak

Established Member
Update: SO I had to remove the fuel commander after I noticed it was to high up on the fender for the fuel lines. I also thought some things were missing from the kit. So I stepped back, and re-read the manuals and went through everything. OK clarity.

So now I have the fuel commander on, relocated in a good spot and low enough to fit the lines. I have the water temp sensor on as well so that's good. I ran the line to the fuel pump, and used the filter I had in place already. I then installed the filter that came with the system and mocked up how that line would run.

The one thing I am disappointed about and somewhat vexed, is that I bought this system so I WOULD NOT have to run a return line. Well I now I see I have to run a VENT line back to the gas tank, so hell I might as well did a return line !
BTW if anyone has any good advice on how to run a vent line please chime in.

So I will now finish up on top, and tighten down everything, hook up the throttle, then run a vent line or figure out how, then wire the system.

Overall a few things have been a pita, like getting the fuel lines on over the fittings, but I guess for the first time doing this its not so bad. More to come...

Ninjak

Established Member
Questioned: The blue wire on the harness....I have a MSD 6A, do I need to hook that blue wire up, which I think is for the tach to the MSD ? If so to what ? The directions do not seem clear for this, and I am wondering do I need to connect it at all ?
Same with the fan. ATM I just have the electrical fan on full time.

JW69Cougar

I have a 69 Cougar with 351w which basically should match under the hood. I also bought the FiTech EFI with the command center.

Questions: 1. Do you have factory AC? If so, where did you put the command center?
2. Have you finished the project? Do you have picture or video documentation of the install? I'm not the best under the hood. I have the EFI installed, mostly wired, O2 sensor installed. But Fuel delivery is what I'm dealing with. I originally purchased the inline fuel pump kit, but it doesn't work with my setup.(Couldn't find a good mounting point for the pieces within the specified distances of the tank without it looking like a total hack job and still giving enough space between the lines and the exhaust pipes).

4a7191a

Established Member
I'm interested in one too. I've got a 69 cougar as well with a pretty decent roller build. The SA 770 is giving me some hell ATM, if I need a bigger carb I'll be going to an efi kit to call it a day. No more guess work. :)
Keep this thread going OP

Users who are viewing this thread