A6 5.0 vs Bolt on 3-vavle

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
I just picked up my new 5.0 this weekend and I decided it was time to do a little performance test so my roommate with a 2005 3-valve GT. His 3-valve has an Off-road H pipe and pypes bombs, FRPP hot rod cams, a JLT intake and a bama tune. For the first race from a roll at 60 mph I honked three times, gave him a second of pulling and then got on it. He pulled me through 1-3rd gear due to me giving him the second before I got on it and then I ripped him a new one by our exit. The second race we went from a stop and we launched it was a completely different machine. The bolt on 4.6 had no chance at all. He claimed he spun through all gears and wanted to go again so finally we line up one more time and I launch again and he still got nothing on the Coyote.

Not that impressive of a kill but still has me pretty happy since my full bolt on V6 had no chance at all.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
2014 5.0 vs. 2005 GT is like racing against the nerdy uncoordinated kid on field day lol

at least now you have bragging rights i guess

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Is your buddy's GT a Manual? May need to drive a bit better.

Bolt - on only 3 cars are solid 12.5-12.6 cars with a tire, low 12's with Cams and a tire.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Really all i see is low 13s were i'm at. The 3V stangs are not that fast even with bolt ons.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Really all i see is low 13s were i'm at. The 3V stangs are not that fast even with bolt ons.

My roommate and good friend went 12.5 @ 110 with Gears, Mid-pipe, Tune, Delete Pipes and Intake with DR's.

They move, with a good driver. He also went 13.4 Stock in both an 06 and 07 GT years apart that came with factory gear ratiors (06 came with 3.55's and the 07 came with 3.31's, both manual)

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I drove a 13 GT and then a 07 GT about 5 minutes later. Both were stock and they honestly felt like two different makes and models. There is no comparsion stock vs. stock. However, there are plenty of nasty 3 valves out there that could kill a coyote... you never know what you will encounter on the street...

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Is your buddy's GT a Manual? May need to drive a bit better.

Bolt - on only 3 cars are solid 12.5-12.6 cars with a tire, low 12's with Cams and a tire.

As much as I hate to say it,this is truth...An auto car with full bolt-on's, cams, stall, gear, and sticky tire can hit 11's in good weather. My 13' GT's best pass stock was 12.63@112 and close but not enough to beat my bolt-on only 02' 2v GT. It's been 12.61 with a best mph of 109.51.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Maybe one day i will run into one. When i had my old 6.1 hemi with just a tune i ate up bolt on 3v stangs all the time. And took out a Roush stage 3 car. My buddy has a 3v with comp stage 3 cams makes 375 rwhp and is not that fast to me only makes 300 tq to the wheels lol. Dyno guy said it was because of running straight pipes with no back pressure.

CaDDy

Banned
Maybe one day i will run into one. When i had my old 6.1 hemi with just a tune i ate up bolt on 3v stangs all the time. And took out a Roush stage 3 car. My buddy has a 3v with comp stage 3 cams makes 375 rwhp and is not that fast to me only makes 300 tq to the wheels lol. Dyno guy said it was because of running straight pipes with no back pressure.

You routinely beat up on 3v's in your tune only truck? I've never raced the same model truck as yours, but I raced a srt-10 (4door) with exhaust (we didn't talk it could have just been a set of mufflers/ axel backs) and we were side by side with my old bolt ons.

Op good kill, the concrete jungle gets deadlier by the day. :beer:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I'm confused, was the 3v a gt or not?

I'm wondering what that last sentence in the original post meant? OP has a V6 or has a Coyote? I'm assuming he meant to put "A6" instead of V6 but still he says his bolt on V6 had no chance at all. No clue, all I gather is a Coyote whooped some sort of 05 S197 lol.

Idk I've heard of some mid 12 second bolt on S197s (05-10s) but never seen one. Also, I've never seen a fast bolt on 3v locally. However a full bolt on LT, and geared 3v barely edged a bolt on 3.7 V6 locally. Wondering if I should just stick to my prehistoric 4v SN95 instead of getting into a 3V :shrug:

97cobra...

Established Member
I'm wondering what that last sentence in the original post meant? OP has a V6 or has a Coyote? I'm assuming he meant to put "A6" instead of V6 but still he says his bolt on V6 had no chance at all. No clue, all I gather is a Coyote whooped some sort of 05 S197 lol.

Idk I've heard of some mid 12 second bolt on S197s (05-10s) but never seen one. Also, I've never seen a fast bolt on 3v locally. However a full bolt on LT, and geared 3v barely edged a bolt on 3.7 V6 locally. Wondering if I should just stick to my prehistoric 4v SN95 instead of getting into a 3V :shrug:

I drove a stock 3v and I was not impressed I think my old outdated 4v moves better but I'm bias I love my car

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
As much as I hate to say it,this is truth...An auto car with full bolt-on's, cams, stall, gear, and sticky tire can hit 11's in good weather. My 13' GT's best pass stock was 12.63@112 and close but not enough to beat my bolt-on only 02' 2v GT. It's been 12.61 with a best mph of 109.51.

I have a couple of buddies that had auto/cam'd/geared 3v GT's that were deep into the 11's... until they broke.

Sick03Vert

Banned
I drove a 13 GT and then a 07 GT about 5 minutes later. Both were stock and they honestly felt like two different makes and models. There is no comparsion stock vs. stock.

So two cars, made 6 years apart, on different platforms, with different drivetrains....feel completely different and the new one is faster?

20070526081818!CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

vic_s197

Established Member
Needs driver mod prolly, when I was just bolt ons, 4.10's, intake exaust, tune and nittos and suspension. ran a best of 13.5 up here elevation 6000 ft, stock 5.0's iv seen run between 13.4-14.0 it's all in the driver

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I drove a stock 3v and I was not impressed I think my old outdated 4v moves better but I'm bias I love my car
I did the exact same thing and also feel the same way. However, those cars are so much better equipped and ours so old and raw that that translates into the feeling of not moving anywhere fast. If you get what I mean. Idk not sure if I'm biased; I love and hate my car at the same time lol but thankful for it!

But I'm not saying there's not a 3v out there that doesn't run well I just haven't encountered one locally.

Users who are viewing this thread