A Sincere 12-Year Old Catholic Girl Asked Me about God

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I was in Las Vegas with my wife and a few family members, all of whom are practicing Catholics. We met up with another portion of family members on my wife's side that happened to be there the same weekend.

While folks greeted and conversed, we slowly migrated over to a random food court and occupied many of the tables there. Sitting in front of me was a promising 12-year old girl who was quickly becoming bored. I was also growing restless because the impromptu family gathering was an unanticipated dead space in the midst of our sinful gambling-drinking-eating party train, for which Las Vegas is intended.

As I was talking to the 12-year old about things mundane, she suddenly interrupted me and changed the subject by asking if it was really true that starlight from distant stars represented the past. Seriously caught off guard in a rather welcome way, I looked her in the eyes and saw a slight expression of anguish as she wrestled with the concept. To her, it was counterintuitive in a painful manner.

My boredom dissipated, as did hers.

I helped her visualize light originate from a distant star and speed towards our planet from a given distance in light-years, carrying information about circumstances that are an equal number of years old. She was genuinely trying to comprehend my explanation as I did my best to keep it simple, compelling, and most importantly, accurate. After a few desperate moments of staring into her lap, she abruptly snapped her head up and looked directly at me in awe. I saw the flicker of cognition as the concept clicked in her head and alleviated her prior confusion.

She became very excited and animated.

I genuinely enjoyed the spectacle and thrill of learning that I witnessed in her body language. From there we talked about the speed of light and even the rubber-sheet-like stretching effect that gravity has on the fabric of space-time. She looked at me sideways in shock when I helped her realize that the entire planet was currently operating on every atom in her body in an attempt to pull it towards the planet's core (pull isn't technically correct but I didn't go there). I tried to give her an idea of how weak gravity is compared to nature's other forces by making the point that the nuclear attractive forces holding the atoms and molecules of atoms together in the seat and ground just beneath her were competing with and defeating the whole of earth's gravitational field as it tried drawing her beneath the ground.

This last point was a bit much for her. So she changed gears and *HIT* me with a new question:

Is God real?

I immediately put my head down and envisioned a large disappointed chorus of my dear SVTP believers sighing profoundly in unison. She caught the outward smirk this internal picture painted on my face as I looked down at the table surface with my mind racing to craft an appropriate response with respect to her Catholic upbringing and the truth of my position. I almost went my usual route and said God might be real, but the physical evidence in favor of that possibility is insufficient per my personal standards of accepting such a claim as true. But then I had a flash of brilliance, perhaps.

I posed the question back to her and said this:

This is one of the big questions, if not *THE* big question. Let no one answer this question for you. And ignore anyone claiming certainty on the matter. Always take it upon yourself to consider and contemplate this very, very important question. You must decide this for yourself.

She listened but then laughed and called me out for the nonbeliever I truly am. I didn't confirm or deny her accusation. But I did smile widely when her next question concerned the truth of Santa Clause, as she discovered it some years before.

dashboard

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Let no one answer this question for you. And ignore anyone claiming certainty on the matter. Always take it upon yourself to consider and contemplate this very, very important question. You must decide this for yourself.

Good advice.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Probably the best answer you could have come up with. At such a young age anything said to her she will remember and believe.

DanTheMan18

Established Member
Good advice. Well done.

Agreed completely.

It worries, no, disgusts me, that the "no, you idiot" voters likely think it's more effective to only give the diluted "truth" as you (for this example, "they") know it to someone at that impressionable of an age, as opposed to reminding and encouraging them of free choice in that arena. Religion, or the lack thereof, should be a choice, not indoctrinated.

In a perfect world, I would expect that even a committed Christian would be able to take a step back and appreciate the way you handled the question, given your beliefs on the topic. I cannot say that I'm surprised that this isn't the case, as the poll already shows. Apparently you were supposed to profess the word of God (wait, wouldn't that equivocate to you lying, and lying is a sin, and all sins are equal... I think I just went crosseyed).

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Agreed completely.

It worries, no, disgusts me, that the "no, you idiot" voters likely think it's more effective to only give the diluted "truth" as you (for this example, "they") know it to someone at that impressionable of an age, as opposed to reminding and encouraging them of free choice in that arena. Religion, or the lack thereof, should be a choice, not indoctrinated.

In a perfect world, I would expect that even a committed Christian would be able to take a step back and appreciate the way you handled the question, given your beliefs on the topic. I cannot say that I'm surprised that this isn't the case, as the pole already shows. Apparently you were supposed to profess the word of God (wait, wouldn't that equivocate to you lying, and lying is a sin, and all sins are equal... I think I just went crosseyed).

The POLL is meaningless. I voted "no he is an idiot" because I like to mess with Wurd2's way of handling these issues.

The reality is she will be told she is wrong many times before her final (I say this loosely) epiphany locks in her line of logic and reasoning for decades. Will she be strong enough to swim to the top of the pool or be dragged down by those who only know what they have been forced and coerced to know.

Something tells me she is leaning to a decision but as most young are; she struggles with disappointing the group think of family and community.

Last edited by a moderator:

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Great answer. Seriously. Especially the "ignore other people's certainty" part.

Kudos.

Coiled03

Established Member
Honestly? I wouldn't have handled it as well as you did.

Well done.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Something tells me she is leaning to a decision but as most young are; she struggles with disappointing the group think of family and community.

From talking to my 18yo, it seems many young people these days, even from very religious families, are strong enough to make up their own minds and find their own paths. It gives me hope.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Within my wife's family, I can see that the younger generation doesn't take their religion as seriously as the older folks. But this also applies to all the other cultural and traditional things apart from religion.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
DaleM said:
The POLL is meaningless. I voted "no he is an idiot" because I like to mess with Wurd2's way of handling these issues.

:banana:

WOT 88

Established Member
Beautifully executed response. Just as the poster above stated; I also admire your writing style.

oldmodman

Established Member
Pics of ............................

Damn, I just noticed that you said 12.

Never mind.

But about the God thing. All she has to do is develop a faster than light spacecraft and an infinity telescope.

Head away from Earth for a bit over 2014 lightyears and by varying your position she can watch the Birth, Life, and Death of Jesus Christ.

Then she can make up her own mind.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
All telescopes are infinity telescopes. So are your eyes. The same light Hubble captures to make all those pretty pictures, falls on your own retinas every time you look at the sky, even in the daylight. If you count non-visible radiation, those photons hit you all the time even when your eyes are closed.

Our philosophical girl would have to go a bit farther out than 2014 light years, because the actual dates of Jesus life have been changed. More than once.

Never mind.

But about the God thing. All she has to do is develop a faster than light spacecraft and an infinity telescope.

Head away from Earth for a bit over 2014 lightyears and by varying your position she can watch the Birth, Life, and Death of Jesus Christ.

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member

Never mind.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread