A quick question about the front splitter for 2000, obviously

Established Member
Hi, I drive an 01 Cobra but am planning on autoxing it in the near future. I want a splitter but, for obvious reasons, could not get one until now. A lot of people may be mad that Ford is now releasing the R parts, but those of us who can't afford an R but want to autox (and look good at shows) see this as a blessing. I am not in the business of making a fake R, I simply want better function. Now that the disclaimer is finished...

I want to know exactly how the splitter is attached. How easy is it to remove the fasteners and what kind of support structure goes into the fascia? Also, if anyone knows, how far down does the splitter drop the "bottom" of the car from the bottom of the bumper?

Thanks, 103

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 103
Hi, I drive an 01 Cobra but am planning on autoxing it in the near future. I want a splitter but, for obvious reasons, could not get one until now. A lot of people may be mad that Ford is now releasing the R parts, but those of us who can't afford an R but want to autox (and look good at shows) see this as a blessing. I am not in the business of making a fake R, I simply want better function. Now that the disclaimer is finished...

I want to know exactly how the splitter is attached. How easy is it to remove the fasteners and what kind of support structure goes into the fascia? Also, if anyone knows, how far down does the splitter drop the "bottom" of the car from the bottom of the bumper?

Thanks, 103

If you are looking for function in auto x's this isn't the mod you want. The speeds are so low that you will get no real benefit from it. Most of us don't even bother installing it at the road courses unless it has some high speed corners where the down force can give you some benefit. Adding it for looks is a whole different ballgame, if ya like it, go for it.

The splitter is held on by about a dozen dzues fasteners that are attached to the splitter and the recepticle is in the fascia of the car. Drilling holes will be required and might be kinda difficult(due to the angle). There are also a couple supports up under the radiator that would need to be added or fabricated to support the back of the splitter. The third thing you will need to do before doing any high speed running with the splitter installed is brace the front fascia assembly. We all had to do it to our cars to prevent shuddering at high speeds on the track.

I can't tell you exactly how much lower the car is with the splitter, but none of us can load the car into our trailer with the splitter on. My guess is it's around 6-9" off the ground with the splitter installed. It is kinda a pia to take the splitter on and off, but you get better at it the more you do it.

Hope it helps, Brian

Last edited:

kevin

i'll add my 2 sense for what it's worth.

first the height. i've measured it with my stock tires and track tires. 5" and 4 1/2". if you plan on any street driving, you'll basically be wasting your mony after you hit the first curb, or worse yet a dip in the road that a normal stang has no problem with. also, the overhang from the center of the front wheel i think is something like 40".

like brian said too. i quit running my splitter on the track (i know of no 00r owner that really races with it on in autox).

the thing is a hugh drag and slows the car down quite a bit. it serves it's function at speeds above about 135mph of holding the front end down. but this is only effective at sustained speeds above that.

if you want it for show you probably won't need to do any of the structural fixes that we've done. but i'd suggest trying to keep it in the car while driving to a show and as brian said ya can't get on a trailer with it on, nor can you strap the car down cause of the overhang (unless you use one of these tire web things).

me perosnnaly. doesn't bother me if ya add that kind of stuff to your car. just be aware of the headaches it causes.

btw, i've had mine repaired twice and it needs a third one now. this all from strack events.

good luck

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. That's the kinda stuff no one really tells ya. I just kept getting "get it!" from my friends. I still have some time to think about it, so thanks again for the quick input.

Andy M

Established Member
I'll add my comments to those who have already answered. First, these guys are correct... You don't want or need the splitter on your car to do autox. Additionally, it really is a pain in the butt to take off the car and replace....and as Kevin said, they are not fully useful at the track unless you are carrying sustained high speeds, which most of us don't do on most road racing courses. Now, in the looks department - the splitter really does make the car look very cool!! :cool: I would not have a problem if you decide to put one on your car just for looks alone. Its your money and your car, so go for it if you like it.

Be aware that you will have to alter your driving habits a bit if you plan to leave it on the car all the time however.

Users who are viewing this thread