A question to all of those on here who rack up the road kills.....

2000gt4.6

Established Member
And just to back up all that "dung":

According to the only study I could find, between 98 and 01 315 fatal crashes involved some sort of street racing. Thats .21 percent of all fatal crashes on the road. Of those, 299 of the fatalities were the driver or passenger (74.9 percent). This same study found that 59 percent of high school boys and 36 percent of girls (highschoolers being the most likely to be involved in both a accident and a fatal one) had raced on the street in the last 12 months.

So 59 percent of all males have done this in the past, and yet with 210 million licensed drivers there were 315 fatal street racing crashes out of 149,568 fatal crashes in that timeframe. Seems like the chances are pretty dammed low.

Source:

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/1/53.full

How low you ask? According to "interstatesportsman', which just happens to be a website promoting boating and hunting, there are 800-875 people PER YEAR killed in boating accidents, and 80-90 in hunting accidents (once again per year).

Source:
http://www.interstatesportsman.com/articles/how-dangerous-is-hunting-really

So in a four year timeframe 3400 people die in boating accidents (wonder how many were other boaters who were "innocent") and 340 die in hunting accidents, while 399 people die from street racing accidents, and a whopping 100 (in a country once again with 400,000 million people) die from a street race while not in the car (though they may have been watching etc).

Wow, what a dangerous thing to do. 55 percent of us do it and a tiny fraction of a fraction have something go wrong, usually while being really really stupid. (excess speed over 100 MPH, doing it in a very congested zone, ricer weave etc).

BTW, from the article:

Our study of street racing fatal crashes has three main findings. First, street racing was a factor in a small percentage of fatal crashes. Secondly, street racing fatal crashes not only involved excessive speeds but also often involved alcohol and occurred on urban surface streets (that is, urban non-interstate or non-freeway roadways). Third, street racers tended to be male teenagers with poor driving histories. These findings may help with the identification of target populations and the development of intervention programs.

So if your a drunk male teenager with a poor driving history... yeah, its a real threat.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Street racers are not that smart. They are the idiots you are talking about. Your justifications in support of this insanely dangerous activity are just plain dumb. You are not going to find many on this forum who will support your weak arguements in support of this activity. If you are compelled to race then do it at the track so you do not jeopordize innocent lives.

See above post.

Also, theres an entire section for street racing on this site, not to mention about 3/4 of the videos posted in the video section.

lets see some actual data to disprove my "weak arguments" instead of just BS.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Do I ever go for an easy kill? Nope. Do I go around challenging other drivers to a race? Nope. Do i accept challenges? Only if I think it's worth my gas or if I'm in the mood to play. So far, I haven't taken any Ls. The most challenges I get are from sport bikes. I guess there aren't many liter bikes around.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
And just to back up all that "dung":

According to the only study I could find, between 98 and 01 315 fatal crashes involved some sort of street racing. Thats .21 percent of all fatal crashes on the road. Of those, 299 of the fatalities were the driver or passenger (74.9 percent). This same study found that 59 percent of high school boys and 36 percent of girls (highschoolers being the most likely to be involved in both a accident and a fatal one) had raced on the street in the last 12 months.

So 59 percent of all males have done this in the past, and yet with 210 million licensed drivers there were 315 fatal street racing crashes out of 149,568 fatal crashes in that timeframe. Seems like the chances are pretty dammed low.

Source:

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/1/53.full

How low you ask? According to "interstatesportsman', which just happens to be a website promoting boating and hunting, there are 800-875 people PER YEAR killed in boating accidents, and 80-90 in hunting accidents (once again per year).

Source:
http://www.interstatesportsman.com/articles/how-dangerous-is-hunting-really

So in a four year timeframe 3400 people die in boating accidents (wonder how many were other boaters who were "innocent") and 340 die in hunting accidents, while 399 people die from street racing accidents, and a whopping 100 (in a country once again with 400,000 million people) die from a street race while not in the car (though they may have been watching etc).

Wow, what a dangerous thing to do. 55 percent of us do it and a tiny fraction of a fraction have something go wrong, usually while being really really stupid. (excess speed over 100 MPH, doing it in a very congested zone, ricer weave etc).

BTW, from the article:

Our study of street racing fatal crashes has three main findings. First, street racing was a factor in a small percentage of fatal crashes. Secondly, street racing fatal crashes not only involved excessive speeds but also often involved alcohol and occurred on urban surface streets (that is, urban non-interstate or non-freeway roadways). Third, street racers tended to be male teenagers with poor driving histories. These findings may help with the identification of target populations and the development of intervention programs.

So if your a drunk male teenager with a poor driving history... yeah, its a real threat.

So someone has to die for it to be a threat? Your stats show that it is unlikely people will die from a street race, but how many people are injured? How many cars are damaged? outside of those fatal accidents.

LS Boss

Established Member
See above post.

Also, theres an entire section for street racing on this site, not to mention about 3/4 of the videos posted in the video section.

lets see some actual data to disprove my "weak arguments" instead of just BS.
OK. I enjoy the challenge you present. I have a scientific backgorund and as such, I'd like to take some time to review your arguements, research your sources, as well as study this topic myself. It should not be difficult to show you how flawed your thinking is. I just need some time to research this topic. I'll get back later.

LS Boss

2000gt4.6

Established Member
So someone has to die for it to be a threat? Your stats show that it is unlikely people will die from a street race, but how many people are injured? How many cars are damaged? outside of those fatal accidents.

Without dedicating my entire life to it like lsboss is apparently going to do (lol) this was the best source I could find.

Any way you cut it, its a tiny fraction of a percentage of total injury accidents. The ones that do happen are more likely to be inexperienced teenagers (just like all accidents) and a large percent of those also involved alcohol.

Many people are involved in many activities that result in many more injuries or deaths (boating, gun accidents, etc) but I'm not hearing a outcry against them . like anything else in life, if you take a action with risk, ignore the risks and act stupid, you might get hurt.

People are acting lie the number one cause of johnny not coming home from his bicycle ride to the library is evil street racers. The reality is statistically youre at more risk doing almost anything .

Take note too, that most of the fatalities from the study happened late night/early morning (party let out time). Not when little johnny is going to church.

Is it risk free? No. Could it be dangerous? Yes. Can it be done with realitive saftey if you don't act stupid? Hell yes

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Without dedicating my entire life to it like lsboss is apparently going to do (lol) this was the best source I could find.

Any way you cut it, its a tiny fraction of a percentage of total injury accidents. The ones that do happen are more likely to be inexperienced teenagers (just like all accidents) and a large percent of those also involved alcohol.

Many people are involved in many activities that result in many more injuries or deaths (boating, gun accidents, etc) but I'm not hearing a outcry against them . like anything else in life, if you take a action with risk, ignore the risks and act stupid, you might get hurt.

People are acting lie the number one cause of johnny not coming home from his bicycle ride to the library is evil street racers. The reality is statistically youre at more risk doing almost anything .

Take note too, that most of the fatalities from the study happened late night/early morning (party let out time). Not when little johnny is going to church.

Is it risk free? No. Could it be dangerous? Yes. Can it be done with realitive saftey if you don't act stupid? Hell yes

I agree, people are more likely to be injured/killed in a lot of things instead of street racing. Your stats however only talk about fatal accidents, not non-fatal accidents with injuries or non-injury accidents so you can't make that conclusion that it's a small portion of accidents. Not that I am saying it's a huge portion, just your reasoning is very flawed. I only read what you posted, so if the articles talk about non-fatal accidents I didn't see it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think most who speak out against street racing don't have a problem with people literally finding a stretch of road out of town with literally zero traffic/property/people and having at it. What everyone has a problem against is the reasoning behind racing in town with other cars/property/people around.

It is very easy to look at the big picture and say, well only 1% of all accidents are street racing and only 100 innocent people die a year out of the hundreds of thousands who die in non-racing related accidents. The problem is that reasoning is exactly what leads to 100 people getting killed who had no reason to die. I don't care what time of day it is, it's not worth property damage or any injuries/fatalities. Plenty of videos of non-injury accidents out there where cars in parking lots get damaged because an idiot decided to race in town, lost control, and ended up in the parking lot.

PACETTR

Established Member
...Your stats however only talk about fatal accidents, not non-fatal accidents with injuries or non-injury accidents so you can't make that conclusion that it's a small portion of accidents. Not that I am saying it's a huge portion, just your reasoning is very flawed. I only read what you posted, so if the articles talk about non-fatal accidents I didn't see it.

Actually this reasoning is very sound. In theory, street racing accidents would be more likely to involve excessive speed, therefore the likelihood of a fatality would be greater. The fact that the numbers are so low only emphasize the statistical insignificance of street racing.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Actually this reasoning is very sound. In theory, street racing accidents would be more likely to involve excessive speed, therefore the likelihood of a fatality would be greater. The fact that the numbers are so low only emphasize the statistical insignificance of street racing.

You are making the assumption that all street racing crashes occurred at excessive speeds. Drivers can hit the brakes and slow down enough, or a lot of times cars lose control when they first start and hit something before they have a chance to pick up speed.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

We can reasonably assume that most, if not all fatal street racing accidents involved excessive speeds, but we can't make the assumption that most, if not all street racing accidents involved excessive speeds.

PACETTR

Established Member
You are making the assumption that all street racing crashes occurred at excessive speeds. Drivers can hit the brakes and slow down enough, or a lot of times cars lose control when they first start and hit something before they have a chance to pick up speed.

I'm not making that assumption at all; only that it is MORE likely to involve excessive speed.

We can reasonably assume that most, if not all fatal street racing accidents involved excessive speeds, but we can't make the assumption that most, if not all street racing accidents involved excessive speeds.

We CAN make that assumption, or at least the assumption that a street racing accident is more likely to involve excessive speed than non-street racing accidents.

2000gt4.6

Established Member

Basically exactly what I was going to post.

On the topic of non injury property damage, you're really getting into a non issue. Ignoring the likelihood of this hapipening, its more a matter of having insurance. The worst case is a inncoent person being inconvenienced until my insurance buys them a new car. My experience has been most people really don't care about inconveniencing me

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
I have a good solution for you guys that came in here to argue how dangerous street racing is and how stupid people who do it are:

There's this button up in the upper-left corner of your browser. It's a little arrow pointing to the left. Click it, and get the **** out of here. It takes a lot less of your time and effort than it does to post these comments that not one solitary person reading this thread gives a single **** about.

I really don't know why you guys insist on reading these threads and then commenting. Just don't read it if you don't like it. If you want to have a discussion about how dumb it is, then start your own thread. The OP asked a question. Answer it or GTFO.

That being said, I don't street race much anymore for multiple reasons. First, my driving record is directly connected to my career. A DUI or a ticket for racing could get me in deep shit or even end my career (I don't drink and drive ever, BTW). I have raced once in the 2015 against a brand new Audi S3. I didn't know much about S3's. I was not impressed. It was a straight-up beat down. Then I looked up the specs and realized that I would not have wasted my gas/risked a ticket had I known the specs of the S3 beforehand. I do like to just accelerate/drive fast just for fun. I think I've hit about 130 mph so far in the new Mustang on open road with nobody else around. However, the minute there's a car next to you also accelerating, the offense becomes much worse in the eyes of LEOs.

Another reason is because, so far in my marriage, my wife has allowed me to keep my testicles attached. If I get a ticket for street racing, they will end up in her purse.

The last reason I don't race much is because I never initiate and the cars I would want to race, like Camaros, Vettes, Cobras, etc. are so few and far between and when I do come across them, they don't seem interested in racing. I get lots of stupid vehicles, like stanced out Subarus and lifted HD trucks, trying to start shit, but I'm not wasting gas on those idiots. The muscle/sports/pony car scene in SLC is not all that great. I've still only seen a handful of S550s, only 2 of which were GTs, and I still have not seen another guard metallic besides mine.

Also, if you wear a flat-bill hat with hipster glasses trying to look like Lebron James and Sheldon Cooper had a baby together, I'm not racing you, no matter what you drive. The number of typical Subaru douche bags is ****ing astounding around here and all they do is exhaust, BOV, and then stance the shit out of it so that it's practically useless. Then they want to race me. Now THAT is unsafe, so I don't enable it.

The safety of others is generally NOT one of the reasons that I rarely do it, because, contrary to the beliefs of some people who choose to derail this thread, not everyone who occasionally street races is stupid/irresponsible.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
I've tried to instigate things in my Z06 & never get a bite. Seems like every other day someone wants to instigate a race with me when I am in the Speed6. Oh well, took care of the last 4 idiots that thought they were cool.

87pony

Established Member
Just curious, are you sure the 19yr old kid wasn't pulling over to talk to you about racing or set up a race? hazards, pulled over, revved at you... any thoughts?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
In the cobra I don't bother with anyone. In my Jeep I always pick on people because they don't expect me to blow their doors off, especially the young kids who don't know any better.

Branhammer

Established Member
In the cobra I don't bother with anyone. In my Jeep I always pick on people because they don't expect me to blow their doors off, especially the young kids who don't know any better.

I know a few guys with SRT8 Jeeps. Those things are the real deal. One of them has a blower on his making almost 600awhp. That shit is ridiculous.

EB85

Established Member
Just curious, are you sure the 19yr old kid wasn't pulling over to talk to you about racing or set up a race? hazards, pulled over, revved at you... any thoughts?

He was just being a dildo and when push came to shove he wanted nothing to do with me. I made my desire to run clear when I got right behind him after he started testing the water.

Edit: I think he actually now lives in that same development or hangs out a lot because I think I saw the same car parked outside a house nearby. Not 100% but it sure looked like it. I'll have to see what gets stirred up when the weather improves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread