A little upset with 5.0 article....

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
OK, I am tired of the bad flack that the 99 Cobras have gotten. No they weren't perfect, no they still aren't perfect, hell they ARE Fords afterall. After reading this articel in 5.0... I'm kinda upset...

It's like the 99 is the little retarded brother who will never measure up to the 2001. Well I have a few things to say...

The 5.0 guys turned great times and good numbers with the 2001 they drove. I'm happy that Ford got it right the first time out this year. However, a post fix 99 will run right with a 2001. Numbers don't lie as they say...

1/4 mile: 13.52 @ 103mph (2.14 60ft)
277rwhp
285ft-lbs

My 99:
1/4 mile 13.61 @ 104mph (2.16 60ft)
273rwhp
286ft-lbs

I have four 13.6 @ 103+mph time slips... all bone stock, with paper filter, airbox, jack, and spare. I also did not ice the intake. The fast run was made after pullin into the track, teching and driving right up to the staging lanes... no cool down. All of which the 2001 in the article had performed on it prior to it's fast run.

Maybe I got a strong 99, I dunno. Conditions come into play too. A guy in our club just got a 2001 and we'll get him to the track soon while he is still stock. See what happens then.
biggrin.gif

I won't dispute that the lessons learned from the 99 garnered some very good improvements for the 2001 (tranny, axles, seats, etc...). Also, that overall the 2001 is indeed the better car. I just hate the bad press that the 99 has received. This just added to my displeasure.

I don't want this to cause a riff between the 99-2001 peeps (ala LT1 vs LS1). I have no ill feelings towards 2001 cars or people. Just ill feelings to the bad press the 99 has gotten. The 2001 is better, but not as much as journalists would lead you to believe.

When Ford stops blowing smoke up our asses with this "320hp" rating and actually put out a car that puts 310-320hp down to the wheels then I'll jump for joy, until then, stock Cobras will keep getting smoked by inferior 310hp Fbodys
biggrin.gif

------------------
1999 Mustang Cobra

dropzoneSVT

Established Member
hey man, i very much agree with you about the 99 -VS- 01 crap. i have yet to actually meet a 99 owner so i dont know if they think they are better like asshole like. but besides the seats and the cool bumper it is THE SAME CAR. same motor, same everything but cool seats. now i have also yet to actually sit in the new seats but they arent all leather so i dont know how that would feel, its like a soft suede (if i spelled that right) and suede is hard to move around in. maybe thats the point not to move lol. i have a 99 conv't model red with tan top. i have no mods and i have only 8,000 miles on the car. before the fix i ran 265rwhp and 280 torque. and after fix im getting 275.5 and 285.5 so pretty much 276/286. i havent taken it to the track so i dont have 1/4 mi times but i assume it will be like any other cobra with same hp ratings. oh and also have 326hp at the flywheel. i love the new look and honestly when it comes down to it, ill prob end up getting the new bumper. but come on guys ford has screwed us by spliting us up into pre-sn95 5.0, 94-95 5.0. 96-98 2V 4.6 99+ 2V 4.6. 96-98 4V 4.6 cobra, and now we got the 99 and 01 cobra (Same damn car biting each other??) and that comment about fbody, i have yet to get beat by a stock fbody. went toe to toe from 60mph all the way to 140 with a ram air TA on free way several times and im a conv't. forget that live axil pushrod from the 60's. bottom line........ if its a mustang and not ghetto out i got love for you and you my bro! peace out fella's

-rob

99 cobra conv't red with tan top
bone stock 8,300 miles
275.5rwhp and 285.5 torque dyno
:cool:

quick99snake

Established Member
1st of all, I just wanna let you know that suede IS leather, its just not TANNED leather. and to my knowledge, none of the "leather" seats in the cobras have ever been ALL leather, usually just leather seating surfaces (which are not all that great I might add). I would love to have the '01 seats, but after the price the dealer gave me, no friggin way. I must say that I absolutely despise my seats, not because they are uncomfortable, but for the fact that when I take a turn, even a slow one, my ass slides right across the seat. There is NO lateral support, and I hate that. My '95 GT had WAY better seats, and they were cloth, so they held me a little better in the turns, not to mention how much better the support was.

Ok, I'm done ranting now, you can go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

REDLYNE

Established Member
I agree...

99's post-fix run right with the 01's. The only difference is the 01's were that way right off that bat....but 99's needed to be recalled.

See my best time (without that many mods) below. My new best times however....now, THAt will be a different story. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread