A HUGE Shout out to Full Tilt Boogie Racing

Flyin '85

Established Member
Just got back from having the full FTBR bushing kit and upgraded toe-links put in my '04 cobra. All I can say is WOW. What a huge difference is every aspect of the car. It goes straighter underfull throttle, stays planted when going around corners that aren't perfectly smooth and just gives the car a much more solid, "connected" feel.
I am EXTREMELY picky about how my vehicles ride and drive. I have noticed no increase in NVH from inside the car. I put almost 80 miles on it already today and I just LOVE it. Everything in the kit is absolutely top notch and Bruce is an outstanding guy to deal with. Can't say enough about him and his products !!!!
Thanks Again FTBR !!!!!

Jason

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just got back from having the full FTBR bushing kit and upgraded toe-links put in my '04 cobra. All I can say is WOW. What a huge difference is every aspect of the car. It goes straighter underfull throttle, stays planted when going around corners that aren't perfectly smooth and just gives the car a much more solid, "connected" feel.
I am EXTREMELY picky about how my vehicles ride and drive. I have noticed no increase in NVH from inside the car. I put almost 80 miles on it already today and I just LOVE it. Everything in the kit is absolutely top notch and Bruce is an outstanding guy to deal with. Can't say enough about him and his products !!!!
Thanks Again FTBR !!!!!

Jason

Jason:

We are pleased to hear how much you like what our kit did for your car. :-D It sort of reminds me of the first time I drove my car after I removed all of the rubber and drove it for the first time. :dancenana: I was actually laughing out loud carving through the Mid-Ohio race course because the rear end of my car was like it was on rails. :rockon:

We are also pleasantly surprised to hear you've noticed NO increase in NVH from the kit. I also personally experienced this riding in your car with you. It surprised me a bit because your exhaust is not very loud and normally you'd hear those front diff mounts a tiny bit, but your car was very quiet. :bowdown:

To the rest of the SVTP members reading this, Jason wasn't sure if it was ok to "let the cat out of the bag" but we installed Jason's IRS bushing kit right here in the Full Tilt Boogie Racing shop. We don't normally do installs but we've been wanting to make an "Installation Video" for some time now and Jason's car was the one we used. We have a lot of video that was shot over the installation process and it will be while before we have it up. It's going to take some time to capture, edit and host it all. We will be breaking the videos down into about five or six segments.

Stay tuned!!!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mach1033

Established Member
Yes his kit is top notch and combined with sub connectors, coilovers front/back, tubular A-arms it makes for a hell of a corner carver. No slop, no wheelhop and oh yeah great straight line acceleration. :rockon:

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
Gotta add that Bruce @ FTBR went out of his way to help me with my order.

Thanks to JimmySideCarr for suggesting!

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I ordered the steeda kit and what a mistake that was.... Now I have to spend the money to do it right next yr w/ Bruce's kit..

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Love seeing posts about great sellers especially FTBR. Awesome job Bruce as always and loving the kit as most are..
OP have fun with your NEW car

Alex

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for all of the positive comments guys!!! :-D We appreciate it!!! :)

I ordered the steeda kit and what a mistake that was.... Now I have to spend the money to do it right next yr w/ Bruce's kit..

Some people are under the mistaken impression that poly is a good suspension material. Nothing could be further from the truth! ANY vendor that sells poly suspension components, particularly for the IRS, is doing their customers a disservice.

I've been saying this for years. :idea:

Taz

Established Member
Thanks for all of the positive comments guys!!! :-D We appreciate it!!! :)

Some people are under the mistaken impression that poly is a good suspension material. Nothing could be further from the truth! ANY vendor that sells poly suspension components, particularly for the IRS, is doing their customers a disservice.

I've been saying this for years. :idea:

I haven't haven't had a bit of trouble with all the poly in my suspension. Been saying this for years, too.

So have all my associates.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

:thumbsup:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I haven't haven't had a bit of trouble with all the poly in my suspension. Been saying this for years, too.

So have all my associates.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

:thumbsup:

I've had nothing but problems with poly. Everybody that's had poly and replaced their poly with our stuff would never go back to poly. I've personally seen poly diff mounts melt at open track events. All you need to do is search the internet for poly problems. :idea:

Perhaps you're not driving your car hard enough?! :shrug:

Taz

Established Member
Yup. You're right, Bruce.

I figure I and my friends are the only ones in the entire known universe who mangaged to find acceptable poly bushing kits.

Mine are over 4 years old now. Still perfectly quiet (with NO periodic lubrication), and still look and work like new. Lucky me, huh?

BTW, why do you suppose of ALL the automotive forums on the internet that I visit, this is the ONLY one that talks so much sh1t about poly? How come poly doesn't get such a bad rap on any of the others?

Oh, yeah! :idea:

We know why, don't we? ;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yup. You're right, Bruce.

I figure I and my friends are the only ones in the entire known universe who mangaged to find acceptable poly bushing kits.

Mine are over 4 years old now. Still perfectly quiet (with NO periodic lubrication), and still look and work like new. Lucky me, huh?

BTW, why do you suppose of ALL the automotive forums on the internet that I visit, this is the ONLY one that talks so much sh1t about poly? How come poly doesn't get such a bad rap on any of the others?

Oh, yeah! :idea:

We know why, don't we? ;-)

'Some' suspension applications of poly may be acceptable to 'some' people. But I can assure you, a Mustang Cobra IRS is NOT one of them!

FWIW

Taz

Established Member
'Some' suspension applications of poly may be acceptable to 'some' people. But I can assure you, a Mustang Cobra IRS is NOT one of them!

FWIW

If polyurethane had demonstrated itself to be universally problematic, I’d probably be right up there on your soapbox with you. But it hasn’t. Poly bushings have been available for decades, and the vast majority of folks haven’t had any trouble at all with poly. So when somebody does, it’s more logical to consider that a symptom of a more serious underlying issue, and not the root of the problem.

Imperious proclamations such as, “Poly sucks!” and “has no place in any suspension,” aren’t the least bit helpful for anyone and hardly qualify as tech by any stretch of the imagination. They are nothing more than expletives without any substance. And accusing vendors who sell poly bushings of “doing their customers a disservice” implies those vendors are negligent at best, and possibly unscrupulous. In my book, that qualifies as defamation of character and borderline slander.

Before selecting poly for use in my own suspension, I did a little research and studied the available materials. Let’s shed some light on this discussion with a few readily VERIFIABLE hard numbers …

Maximum recommended long-term service temperature (approximate):

Ford Trac-Lok differential: 230F degrees

OEM rubber bushings: 220 – 250F degrees, depending on formulation
Polyurethane bushings: 250 – 275F degrees, depending on formulation
Delrin bushings: 185F degrees

Melting point (approximate):

Ford Trac-Lok differential: N/A

OEM rubber bushings: 400F degrees
Polyurethane bushings: 400F degrees
Delrin bushings: 350F degrees

What do these numbers imply? Well, they imply that if Your bushings are “melting,” then you have far graver issues than bushing meltdown, because your carrier is operating in failure mode.

Shore D durometer (approximate):

OEM rubber bushings: less than 40
Polyurethane bushings: 60 – 70, depending on formulation
Delrin bushings: 80

What do the bushing durometers tell us? They tell us that poly bushings are quite a bit more resistant to deformation than rubber ones, but not quite as resistant as Delrin. A poly bushing has about the same durometer as a golf ball, and that’s plenty stiff enough for me, considering my Cobra is primarily a street-driven car.

As for your suggestion that I’m not driving it hard enough, you may be right. I’m only in my driving club’s orange (intermediate) group on the road course. But I’ll bet that I drive my car harder than 95% of the people on this forum.

So, let’s consider more logical reasons for why some folks have trouble with poly:

1. Improper installation – it appears that at least half the people on this forum have difficulty flushing their cooling systems and changing their lubricants.

2. Defective parts – with any cast parts, you’re going to encounter a certain percentage of casting flaws unless you test every single part, which isn’t generally very practical.

3. Underlying issues – already mentioned above – tracking a friction type limited slip carrier without providing additional cooling is asking for trouble. At least, with rubber or poly bushings, you may receive enough advance warning to take corrective action before you need a new diff, as well as new bushings. With solid bushings, you won't have any advance warning.

The long and short of all this? I'm not talking about "some" people here. I'm talking about me and my personal experience. I’m perfectly happy with my poly bushings, and have bee since I installed them in 2006/2007.

Everybody that I personally know who runs poly bushings is also perfectly happy with them. Not a single one of us would even consider swapping out for solid bushings, so it irritates us when we see inflammatory statements that irrationally denigrate poly bushings.

:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread