A Friend's Portable Beer Brewing Equipment

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
A creative friend of mine who likes brewing beer put this portable rig together for brewing convenience. It allows us to brew 10 gallons at a time:

beer003.jpg

The unfermented mix then sits in these sterilized glass tubs for a few weeks while the yeast works its magic. The wooden crates are on wheels too:

beer005.jpg

I have since become strongly opinionated over what good beer really is. Obviously home brew is superior (assuming it is brewed properly) and much cheaper than commercial beer, but if I am going to buy beer this is what I go with. And if there is such a thing as fine beer, this is it:

beer004.jpg

I also intend to offend beer fans here by saying that if your favorite beer is constantly available at your local supermarkets, you are drinking garage. Obviously there are a few exceptions here—very few.

:beer:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
your friend must have a lot of brain smarts, because brewing is quite a science.

I applaud him!

the slightest little bit of bacteria can ruin a batch of beer.. everything must be cleaannnnn.

what kind of ales has he been producing?

95riosnake

Established Member
I can drink beer from the store, but I prefer local micro-brews :beer:

Couple months back, a neighboring town had a brew-fest with all the micro brews you can drink and all you can eat food all day for only $35... needless to say, I was in paradise :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's an awesome setup. I'm not a beer tasting expert and honestly can never tell much difference between a major label and a good micro-brew. I'm sure the beer experts can tell the difference. I'll bet yours is awesome. Is that your custom label on the bottle?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My friend and I went to 'Hops', a local microbrewery around here. We tried their Winter beer and it was horrible. Neither of us could drink it.

His quote of the night was: "I've never tasted ass, but if I did, I could imagine this is what it'd taste like".

kuruma

Established Member
Sweet set up. Makes mine look real ghetto. All I have is two 5 gallon buckets.

How many weeks does your friend let his beer ferment? I usually do a 1 week maybe 2 if I want a high alcohol content.

I must say that home brew is definately way tastier, and has more alcohol than store bought. The only downside is the sediment which you can't completely get away from. (you can reduce it a lot, but I've always found to have a little bit at the bottom.)

texaswrx

Established Member
Nice set up.

And, it really is not that difficult with the right equipment. And as above, clean equipment is the cornerstone of a great beer.

mdamman003

Established Member
mad props for brewing his own...i wish i could get into that...it seems that all my friends parents or brothers do it

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Zinc03Cobra said:
what kind of ales has he been producing?

I think he has brewed all of the basic flavors. The next batch up is definitely an India Pale Ale.

CobraBob said:
Is that your custom label on the bottle?

Nope. That is Blind Pig from Russian River Brewing Company. If you are an IPA fan, this is something to behold. I savor every sip.

kuruma said:
How many weeks does your friend let his beer ferment?

He lets the beer ferment for two weeks I believe. What I found interesting was the taste of beer before the hops and yeast are added. It tasted like a grainy and funky sweet tea.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread