A/C Whine

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Ok, description first:

2003 Terminator with Killer Chiller, no heat exchanger.

IAT2 usually runs around 100-115 on the interstate. Today, I was on the interstate cruising south when I noticed an oscillating “whir” type of sound coming from behind the dash of the passenger side. My A/C was on max and set to warm cause were having a Florida winter. IAT2’s were creeping up slowly. About a degree every couple of miles. I turned the A/C to cold and it was only cool. Whirring got louder.

When I got off of the interstate, I noticed the IAT2’s were coming down and the A/C was now pumping cold air. Whirring was still coming up from behind the dash.

On the way home, the whirring became a high pitch noise at times. Sometimes sounding like a microphone feedback and so bad, I would have to turn the A/C off for a couple of seconds then turn it back on. The high pitch would go away but the whirring would still keep going with the high pitch randomly coming and going.

When I got home, I looked behind the glove box to check vacuum lines and didn’t notice any cracks. Drove around and the noise was still there with the same problems but I couldn’t isolate where the noise is coming from. Need to have a passenger look for me while I drive. Maybe it’s coming from the engine bay, but it doesn’t do it at idle and not really while driving in stop and go.

Any ideas? Searching has produced nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your idea of having someone drive with you as a passenger to help determine the location/source of the whine is a good start. Have you tried to immediately pull over, pop the hood and bring the revs up to around 3K to see if you can hear it in the engine bay?

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Your idea of having someone drive with you as a passenger to help determine the location/source of the whine is a good start. Have you tried to immediately pull over, pop the hood and bring the revs up to around 3K to see if you can hear it in the engine bay?

I did try it once yesterday, could reproduce it. I'm going to def try again this week....I know it's vacuum related because of the pitch of the sound. Well, 90% sure, lol

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
For anyone following along or finding this later through searching, the ac recycle door that opens to the cowl is controlled by one of the vacuum diverters, which are discontinued and you have to pull the dash to get to. Mine won’t hold vacuum anymore....sigh.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread