A/C compressor problem

wtsn8ke

Established Member
My A/C compressor just went out on my terminated '98 Cobra. I have it pullied with a 4# lower and 2.93 upper. I am wondering if this would put any extra strain on the A/C compressor. Also, does anyone make a better compressor for the terminator than ford? I know nothing when it comes to A/C so any help is appreciated.

oldmodman

Established Member
The stock compressor should be fine.
As far as I know there is no other pulley for the AC other than stock. Yes, with a bigger lower you are spinning the AC compressor faster all the time it is on. You might want to ask your tuner if he can turn it off at a specific RPM while at part throttle since it already shuts off when you are at full throttle. That might save your next AC compressor. Also, the Ford compressors seem to be very sensitive to lower internal oil levels. So if you are leaking a tiny bit of freon and recharging it with the little cans at home, it is running on less and less oil and will eventually fry. On AC compressors the oil is in the freon and if the freon leaks out, so does the oil.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
My A/C compressor just went out on my terminated '98 Cobra. I have it pullied with a 4# lower and 2.93 upper. I am wondering if this would put any extra strain on the A/C compressor.

A/C compressor runs off the inner belt, so your 4 lb. lower is not spinning it any faster than stock

cChrisM

Cobra Builder
Established Member
I have a compressor off my 03 Cobra, only 25k miles on the car. I don't need it as I moved the alternator to the compressor location for my project. Let me know if interested.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Thanks for the offer but repair is already in process. Putting in the stock 03/04 compressor. Sounds like it may be an ongoing problem with the lower kit which SUCKS.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
No need for confusion.

A/C compressors can fail on any vehicle and that's just the way it is!
We can assure you, it has nothing to do with a larger lower pulley

Have you gone through more than one?
If so, you probably aren't getting the system clean of contaminants or debris

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
No need for confusion.

A/C compressors can fail on any vehicle and that's just the way it is!
We can assure you, it has nothing to do with a larger lower pulley

Have you gone through more than one?
If so, you probably aren't getting the system clean of contaminants or debris

+1

The hydraulic pump for PS and PB, water pump and AC compressor run off only the inner belt. The drive pulley for that is inside the "cage" on the crank and is not changed when the outer lower pulley is changed. The outer one only runs the alternator and supercharger. If you haven't seen it elsewhere on this forum beware of running huge lowers with small pullies on the blower. There have been a number of crank failures.

If you can find one that fits in the stock location and takes the stock hose hookups, Sanden probably makes the best AC compressor on the market. All the "hotrod" and antique retrofit AC systems use them and they're good to 6500 RPM.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Thanks for the great responses, guys. It is the first time the compressor has gone out since the '03 motor went in about a year ago. Lower kit was installed just a couple months ago which gave me concern. I'll be getting the car back from the shop tomorrow and they supposedly changed lines, drier etc so hopefully i'll have my A/C in good shape. 111 degrees today so I NEED it!

Users who are viewing this thread