A/C compressor clutch malfunctioning

My A/C compressor clutch started malfunctioning a few days ago. Been a real hot & humid summer in NJ this year and have used it a lot. Its a brand new replacement unit from Motorcraft, installed back in summer of 2014.

Noticed a hissing sound that comes and goes with the A/C on, over the past 3 days. Still blowing cold but noticed under the car today that when the hissing noise shows up, I can see the A/C compressor clutch seize for about 5-6 seconds then restarts and repeats the same symptoms about 20sec later.

As soon as I shut the A/C off, the noise goes away and the car goes back to normal. The pulley on the compressor continues to spin freely.

So is this a matter I can address next summer or do I need to consider replacing the A/C compressor or clutch in the very near future?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Don't know a whole lot about the A/C system and what serious symptoms the A/C compressor makes when its about to let go.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
so when the clutch freezes up, its just the clutch correct, its not like the pulley itself stops spinning?

What you describe could be the system kicking off and on due to low freon levels, especially if it still does this when set to max ac. When the system is off theres enough freon on the low side to get the pressure up above the limits of the low pressure cutoff then once the compressor comes on pressure on the low side drops, trips the low pressure switch, it shuts off and repeats infinitely.

If the clutch is actually hanging up I would replace it sooner than later and stop using the AC, you dont wanna burn up another compressor. The clutch assembly is replaceable I do believe but may need a special puller.

so when the clutch freezes up, its just the clutch correct, its not like the pulley itself stops spinning?

What you describe could be the system kicking off and on due to low freon levels, especially if it still does this when set to max ac. When the system is off theres enough freon on the low side to get the pressure up above the limits of the low pressure cutoff then once the compressor comes on pressure on the low side drops, trips the low pressure switch, it shuts off and repeats infinitely.

If the clutch is actually hanging up I would replace it sooner than later and stop using the AC, you dont wanna burn up another compressor. The clutch assembly is replaceable I do believe but may need a special puller.

Yes, that's correct.

Was watching for the distinction. While the A/C clutch freezes up momentarily, it doesn't affect or stop the spinning of the compressor pulley.

Thank you for your reply. You're a life saver. Definitely not using the A/C further and going to determine what to do at this point. These Motorcraft A/C compressors certainly aren't cheap.

As an aside, when my oem a/c compressor failed in 2014, it was making an awful, screeching bearing rubbing noise. And that noise was present without the a/c on.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
no problem, hopefully its just the clutch at worst, the noise makes me think its that over the system being low but its really hard to diagnose when you cant hear it for yourself

jedeyeben

Established Member
Mine just went out on me two weeks ago too. Sitting in a drive through and then pop! Air blew hot unless moving at RPMs and also blew the fan fuse causing it to overheat... ?

Picked up a new one yesterday getting ready to throw it on this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Jed if your ac started to blow cold (or cooler) as your moving i wouldnt put a compressor on just yet. If the fan quit that would cause no air flow over the condensor at idle/low speed the ac cant cool down just like the radiator. The AC system being hot with no airflow will cause system pressure to go way up. I dont know what the failsafe is. Some cars have a high pressure switch that will shut down the compressor, some vent freon to the atmosphere to bring down system pressure

jedeyeben

Established Member
Jed if your ac started to blow cold (or cooler) as your moving i wouldnt put a compressor on just yet. If the fan quit that would cause no air flow over the condensor at idle/low speed the ac cant cool down just like the radiator. The AC system being hot with no airflow will cause system pressure to go way up. I dont know what the failsafe is. Some cars have a high pressure switch that will shut down the compressor, some vent freon to the atmosphere to bring down system pressure

I'm not replacing the compressor, just the clutch pulley on it.

Story on it: hot day max air going, family in the car out cruising, sitting at a drive through and "pop" from front of engine area followed by a slight knock sound at idle at the front passenger side of the engine when I pulled up to look.

Diagnosis later, from advice, check the clutch and the fuse for the fans. 50amp fuse was blown and I'm assuming it's the same circuit as the AC and cooling fans are tied in with it. ? Bought a fuse, checking AC clutch this weekend. And I guess I'll go from there.

Last edited:

jedeyeben

Established Member
Update: changed AC clutch, but then found the fan ring had cracked causing the noise and drag blowing the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread