A/C Blend door motor

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Has anyone replaced one of these yet in a 11+? Mine makes a horrible clicking noise for about 3-5 seconds after I turn it on or when I switch from a/c to heat. I've tried pulling the fuse so it reset it but that didnt help. Anything else it could be before I start pulling apart the dash?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ah poop, ya sounds like the motor is going out. I haven't had the pleasure of doing one yet in these cars. I can post up some pics of how to change it from the shop manual if needed.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Left side blend door motor
The LH temperature blend door actuator can be accessed from below the LH side of the instrument panel to the right of the accelerator pedal.
1. Disconnect the LH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
2. Remove the 2 LH temperature blend door actuator screws.
3. Remove the LH temperature blend door actuator.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
5. NOTE:
The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry
out calibration, carry out the following steps.
Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.
6. NOTE:
When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will
take approximately 30 seconds.
Reinstall SJB fuse 15. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct LH temperature blend door actuator
operation.
LHblend_zps638cd9e6.png

Right side blend door motor
Removal and Installation
1. Remove the blower motor. For additional information, refer to Blower Motor in this section.
2. Remove the 4 glove compartment screws and remove the glove compartment.
3. Remove the 2 RH temperature blend door actuator screws.
4. Reposition the RH temperature blend door actuator and disconnect the RH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
5. Remove the RH temperature blend door actuator.
6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
7. NOTE:
The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry
out calibration, carry out the following steps.
Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.
8. NOTE:
When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will
Reinstall SJB fuse 15. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct RH temperature blend door actuator
operation.
RHblend_zps196a460f.png

Air inlet door motor AKA recirc
1. Lower the glove compartment.
2. Disconnect the air inlet mode door actuator electrical connector.
3. Remove the 3 air inlet mode door actuator screws.
4. Remove the air inlet mode door actuator.
5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
6. To verify correct operation, press the RECIRC button and allow 10 seconds for the air inlet mode door to reach the selected position.
airinlet-recirc_zpsbf9d9f78.png

Floor vent door motor
1. Lower the glove compartment.
2. Disconnect the floor door mode door actuator electrical connector.
3. Remove the 3 floor door mode door actuator screws.
4. Remove the floor door mode door actuator.
NOTE:
The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out
calibration, carry out the following steps.
6. Remove the Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.
7. NOTE:
Reinstall SJB fuse 15. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct FLOOR mode operation.
floormotor_zps8e590478.png

Defrost mode door motor
Removal and Installation
1. Remove the passenger airbag module. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
2. Remove the 3 panel/defrost door mode door actuator screws.
3. Reposition the panel/defrost door mode door actuator and disconnect the panel/defrost door mode door actuator electrical connector.
4. Remove the panel/defrost door mode door actuator.
6. NOTE:
Because the battery is disconnected as part of the passenger airbag module removal procedure, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the
actuators when the ignition is cycled to the ON position. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.
Cycle the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct panel/defrost door mode door actuator operation
panel-defrost_zps6ea92e9d.png

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Wow great info there thanks 01bluesnake. Any idea how to tell WHICH motor it is thats going out? I didn't realize there was that many...

01bluesnake

Established Member
Wow great info there thanks 01bluesnake. Any idea how to tell WHICH motor it is thats going out? I didn't realize there was that many...

Your welcome. As slagburn mentioned, just see which one is clicking. I usually place my fingers on the motor body, and as i use the climate controls feel which one it is. You will definitely know as its a pretty pronounced tapping in the motor that can be felt.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
EDIT: I dropped the glovebox and checked them all by touching them while they click and its the Right side blend door motor. I'm happy I dont have to remove the airbag but blah about the blower motor.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Good to hear :beer:

Also on an important note. Do not plug in the actuator and turn on the climate control system to "just check" the motor for function. It can actually damage it internally from the motor over swinging past its design points without being mounted in the box using the door as limits/stops. This came straight from Ford tech support a while back when we were getting opened blend door motor boxes and they were clicking new. Its turns out they can be damaged by just plugging them in to perform a visual inspection test some techs tend to do.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Good to hear :beer:

Also on an important note. Do not plug in the actuator and turn on the climate control system to "just check" the motor for function. It can actually damage it internally from the motor over swinging past its design points without being mounted in the box using the door as limits/stops. This came straight from Ford tech support a while back when we were getting opened blend door motor boxes and they were clicking new. Its turns out they can be damaged by just plugging them in to perform a visual inspection test some techs tend to do.

Good to know. Thanks again for all your help!

On a side note, my car does NOT have the LH motor... there is a place for it(screw holes) and a tube that looks like the motor would plug in to but its not there. I'm the only owner bought the car brand new so either the factory messed up or some of the 11's didnt come with one.

shadango

Your welcome. As slagburn mentioned, just see which one is clicking. I usually place my fingers on the motor body, and as i use the climate controls feel which one it is. You will definitely know as its a pretty pronounced tapping in the motor that can be felt.

Wondering - does the air bag DEFINATELY have to come out for the defrost mode door actuator?

Dealer is telling me "the whole dash has to come out" and is like $500 in labor.

I am handy with tools and work on cars a lot, but messing with the air bag freaks me out.

alex3610

Established Member
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. I have no clicking noises, just that my drivers side vents blow warm air with the A/C on while the passenger side blow ice cold. The whole blend door thing sounds like a likely culprit, I'm just not sure which one. I have a 2011 Premium NO NAV.
Thanks!

Mike's5.0

Same Here...

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. I have no clicking noises, just that my drivers side vents blow warm air with the A/C on while the passenger side blow ice cold. The whole blend door thing sounds like a likely culprit, I'm just not sure which one. I have a 2011 Premium NO NAV.
Thanks!

My 2011 w/out NAV is doing the same thing. I was going to try and follow the steps listed in this thread to do the blend door calibration (unplug the proper fuse). Hopefully the door is just in need of being re-calibrated and there are no bad motors or anything like that. Mine is the same problem though...Ice cold air on the passenger side and warmer air on the driver's side. That kind of makes me wonder if it's really true about their only being one blend door on Mustangs w/out NAV as mentioned in this thread. Seems to me like there are two (one for each side), otherwise how are we seeing the difference in temps between the two sides?

alex3610

Established Member
I tried the re-calibration with no luck. Another thread I found someone said that the way the duct work blows air across the evaporator the lower half sends to the passenger side and the upper half sends to the drivers side. So if you are low on refrigerant, only the lower half of the evaporator gets cold. I find this hard to believe as I would think the entire system would be low on pressure and warmer as a result but who knows. I've done some residential HVAC work but automotive systems are pretty foreign to me. My car being a 2011 I'm passed the 3/36 warranty even though I've only got 29k on the car, so I'm going to the dealer as an absolute last resort. I'm really hoping this is an easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread