A Build of a Different Color- 1989 Jeep Comanche

mysteed

Established Member
My whole life it seems that pretty much all of the vehicles that I have purchased (save one) have been Mustangs. Now I have always been a fan of Jeeps and of the Comanche especially and this week I finally took steps to procure my very own. I am not new to rebuilding vehicles from the ground up but I am new to Jeeps so this is pretty exciting for me. I'm not 100% sure which direction I will be taking with it (fully restore to OE, update to modern standards, or full out off road rig), but I will be daily driving it once it is up and running. It looks rough on the outside but from what I saw when I was initially looking at the truck the bones of it seemed really good.

The Comanche is a 1989 with 117,600 miles I purchased from the original owners son. It's a base 4cyl, 2wd, std trans truck but is equipped with A/C from the factory.

Without further adieu:

As it sat before I had it towed to the shop:
IMAG0026_zpsrspk5dpy.jpg

IMAG0027_zpszn7gr7mm.jpg

IMAG0030_zpszih4x1xg.jpg

IMAG0029_zpsacpf6fsp.jpg

IMAG0028_zps2voyeznx.jpg

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Nice can't wait to see more pics.

A Modern day Commanche would be awesome. Especially, if it is a DD and you have the funds. Drop a 5.9l out of a GC into it or a 5.7l Hemi. better suspension and brakes, modernize the interior! Awesome!

Joewee500

Established Member
I had an '88 commanche back in high school. 4.0, auto, 2x4. Ran a swift 17.0 in the 1/4. Me and dad built a carbed 318 to swap in but it never got done. I loved that truck. Good luck on the build.

CSG

Established Member
60's f/r, 4 link/3link w/ coilovers, bob the back, stretch the front, cut the openings for LCG and do an LS. Lots of work but would be a very sweet rig that you could DD and offroad.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
SCCA Comanche style build. Low, wide wheels and tires and some serious power.

LSX, T56 Magnum, 8.8" rear...add turbo and enjoy.

scottL

Established Member
My '01 Cherokee XJ's built pretty much like this badass Commanche & it's my daily driver too
IMG_0208.jpg

MattGT06

Established Member
Looking forward to this build! I'm actually on the hunt for one of these or a clean 80s ranger to use as a DD.

YJSONLY

Established Member
My first truck was a 86. With the 2.8 v6. That truck went from 0-60 in 5.0.......... Miles!!!!
I had to plan far a head if I was going to pass a bicycle.

mysteed

Established Member
Nice can't wait to see more pics.

A Modern day Commanche would be awesome. Especially, if it is a DD and you have the funds. Drop a 5.9l out of a GC into it or a 5.7l Hemi. better suspension and brakes, modernize the interior! Awesome!
I'm leaning right now to modernizing it.

LS swap it. lol
Don't think I haven't considered it...

Still hate ya, buddy :D

4.0 swap, 4x4, and repaint.... Im thinking sierra beige
I think tan would be a GREAT looking color on this truck.

I had an '88 commanche back in high school. 4.0, auto, 2x4. Ran a swift 17.0 in the 1/4. Me and dad built a carbed 318 to swap in but it never got done. I loved that truck. Good luck on the build.
Thanks. A 318 would be a nice addition to the truck.

60's f/r, 4 link/3link w/ coilovers, bob the back, stretch the front, cut the openings for LCG and do an LS. Lots of work but would be a very sweet rig that you could DD and offroad.
That would be a sweet rig indeed.

View attachment 41479

There's a few really clean builds out there. I love the silver.
The silver looks sexy.

Needs a stoked 4.0.
I've seen a few of those builds. Very impressive.

SCCA Comanche style build. Low, wide wheels and tires and some serious power.

LSX, T56 Magnum, 8.8" rear...add turbo and enjoy.
That would be a SICK build.

My '01 Cherokee XJ's built pretty much like this badass Commanche & it's my daily driver too
IMG_0208.jpg
Love it!

Looking forward to this build! I'm actually on the hunt for one of these or a clean 80s ranger to use as a DD.
You can find them if you are patient.

My first truck was a 86. With the 2.8 v6. That truck went from 0-60 in 5.0.......... Miles!!!!
I had to plan far a head if I was going to pass a bicycle.
Yeah, slow would be an understatement. Oh, and don't even think about using the A/C when going up a hill...

This has potential.
Thanks!

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Damn man what an awesome find! I tried so hard to find one for my first ride back in high school but ended up settling with a 4.0 XJ instead. They are painfully slow but somehow still unbelievably fun to drive. I had more fun in my XJ then I have with my Mustang, it's still sitting at my dads house up north, eventually i'd like to do a full modernized off road setup like you're planning on.

Can't wait to see what's in store man to say i'm jealous would be an understatement!

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
sweet. i saw a beautiful one around here one day, lifted on 35's, nice plate bumpers and painted in that orange color c6z's come in. i actually really liked it and im a toyota guy when it comes to trucks

Users who are viewing this thread