A Bitter Sweet Day Of Tuning...

turbo'd 03

Established Member
to make a long story short, the most boost we could get out of the turbo was 24.5 with yielded 785/775. we tried taking off the breather to see if we could get more air. Same results. So I just chalk it up to having small piping and no port work on the heads. So we pull the car off the dyno and are going to fine tune it while driving. The dynojet does not load the car like a MustangDyno does. So we should see 26-27psi on the street, and may need to through a little more fuel in. So we start some 3rd gear rolls. 65mph start rolling into the gas and it just boiled the new MT drag Radials on cement. So we do it again this time I just drop the hammer in 3rd peddling the car to 90mpg and grab 4th the boost gauge went to 27psi and now the car is just skating down hwy 121 at over 100mph!!!! I had never in my life time ever felt anything like that...So we got the data Manny needed and were on our way back to the shop, and I wanted to do that again. so here we go same as before the car hit 27psi(which should be around 800hp)and the dropped on it face boost went down to 10psi and there is a ton of smoke coming out the exhaust. We get back to the shop, pull the charge tube off and the compressor wheel is totally loose and hit all sides of the housing. So the turbo has probably been going bad for awhile, Brandon had it off in no time and they were shipping it back to precision today to be rebuilt..
To say the least I am very happy with how the car preformed. I have never been in a street car skating the tires at over 100mph. Truly a butttt puckering feeling. And the new set up looks sick and very clean Iam very happy with how everything turned out. Blowing up the turbo..that is just one of those things that happen. It will be rebuilt and then it will be stronger than it was. I don't have any Vids sorry. But I can say i did not lose any low or mid range power/Tq running the Sullivan with the HPP upper. Like i said i got out of there with out grabbing my dyno sheets, but when we get the car back together i will post an overlay of the 715 pull over the 778. The Sullivan ramps and pulls much harder not to mention the improved throttle response with the acufab. One more thing for you guys running sticks it is a must to get the MGW shifter. OMG what a difference, I would have never believed that a shifter can make that much difference. By far one of the best mods I have done to the car.:rockon:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Glad you got it sorted out :)...I guess this means you won't be coming down for the dyno day this weekend then? I'm sure i'll see your car up there though hehe. Hopefully Precision will have your turbo fixex and sent back in no time.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
How many miles did you have on the turbo? And regardless of miles, why would it go bad. I could see if you had 10's of thousands of miles on it, but I doubt you do. Anyway though, sounds like one badass ride you got there.

turbo'd 03

Established Member
Glad you got it sorted out :)...I guess this means you won't be coming down for the dyno day this weekend then? I'm sure i'll see your car up there though hehe. Hopefully Precision will have your turbo fixex and sent back in no time.

How many miles did you have on the turbo? And regardless of miles, why would it go bad. I could see if you had 10's of thousands of miles on it, but I doubt you do. Anyway though, sounds like one badass ride you got there.

Well I hope you all have a good time this weekend. As to why it failed who knows. The guys a precision said they won't be able to tell tell they look at it. I don't really think it matters how many miles are on it, its how I drive it I beat the shit out of it everyday i drive it. No mercy..:rockon:

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Well I hope you all have a good time this weekend. As to why it failed who knows. The guys a precision said they won't be able to tell tell they look at it. I don't really think it matters how many miles are on it, its how I drive it I beat the shit out of it everyday i drive it. No mercy..:rockon:

I don't think driving it hard should be considered beating it though. I' m just new to the whole turbo thing on cobras and find it surprising that the turbo crapped out the way it did. Anyway though, glad the manufacturer is taking care of it for you. I was just trying to understand why it happened. I thought it may have dealt with the mileage you had on it to get a feel of when a turbo should maybe be rebuilt. Again though, pardon my ignorance of the whole turbo thing on these cars. Thanks.:beer:

turbo'd 03

Established Member
I don't think driving it hard should be considered beating it though. I' m just new to the whole turbo thing on cobras and find it surprising that the turbo crapped out the way it did. Anyway though, glad the manufacturer is taking care of it for you. I was just trying to understand why it happened. I thought it may have dealt with the mileage you had on it to get a feel of when a turbo should maybe be rebuilt. Again though, pardon my ignorance of the whole turbo thing on these cars. Thanks.:beer:

No problem the turbo has around 9k miles on it. I did ask percisison if recirculating back to the turbo at 21psi all the time could cause this..They said they will have to see the turbo 1st. Maybe someone else can chime in on this..:beer:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
You can over spin a turbo. That can damaged them as well and may have been what happened to yours.

turbo'd 03

Established Member
You can over spin a turbo. That can damaged them as well and may have been what happened to yours.

Once again Percision say the 76GTS is good for 29-30psi. I just don't know, all i can do is have it rebuilt for the rest of this year and drive the car. Next winter I will put a small frame 88 and be done with it, along with ported heads and turbo cams...:D

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
Damn sounds like your going to have a beast on your hands again very soon man, congrats and yeah that had to add to the pucker factor with over a 100mph skating experience! WOW

Users who are viewing this thread