'99 GT - no start after sitting for 3 weeks

B-O-B'03

Established Member
We are doing some home remodeling and the wife's car has been sitting in the driveway for the last 3+ weeks, went to start it the other day and the battery was dead.

Put the charger on it over night and tried to start it again the next morning, it turns over but that is it.

The theft light is on for a little while when cranking it and then goes off.

It was running fine before it sat.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Brian

Dark02Pony

Established Member
how does the voltage look after having thrown the charger on it ? I know in some cases chargers fail and need a direct jump. Does it sound like it wants to turn over or ?

B-O-B'03

Established Member
how does the voltage look after having thrown the charger on it ? I know in some cases chargers fail and need a direct jump. Does it sound like it wants to turn over or ?

I have not checked the voltage, I'll do that tomorrow, but it cranks over, just won't start.

Thanks,

-Brian

Drkshdwmach1

Established Member
I had the problem after my 97 gt sat for awhile take the battery off and have it checked also listen to see if the fuel pump kicks on those were a few of the problems I had

Founder2013

Banned
You may have a faulty battery wire. I had a similar issue as my car sits for periods of time (months) due to the nature of my job. I had a old curroded battery wire that I'm getting replaced soon. As the car sits the anti theft system is still slowly draining the battery but sitting only 3 weeks would not drain your battery. Its got to be something else such as the the almost 14 year old battery wire connection just becoming aged and corroded.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
having weak voltage will cause the theft system to go awry

Could be a bad battery and/or corroded terminals/cables.

Also try to listen to see if the fuel pump kicks on. I had a car that ran fine, let it sit for a month and the fuel pump was dead randomly. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Good luck

B-O-B'03

Established Member

Also try to listen to see if the fuel pump kicks on. I had a car that ran fine, let it sit for a month and the fuel pump was dead randomly. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Good luck

OK, Finally getting close to done on the remodel, bought a new battery for the car and the symptoms are the same, it cranks over but will not start.

I do not hear the fuel pump kick in, when I turn the key to ignition, and there is no pressure in the fuel rail, when I checked at the schrader valve.

I looked at the pump cutoff in the trunk, but could not figure out how to tell if it was tripped.

I guess the next thing is to check fuses and see if power is getting to the pump.

Is there a place to check that (power to the pump)?

Thanks,

-Brian

AtlanticRJ

Established Member

Good luck

THIS. My fuel pump kicked the bucket randomly back in December... when the car was parked on a hill. If the button on the switch in the trunk is popped out, then it is tripped. The fact that you aren't getting pressure at the valve leads me to believe that the pump is bad.

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
THIS. My fuel pump kicked the bucket randomly back in December... when the car was parked on a hill. If the button on the switch in the trunk is popped out, then it is tripped. The fact that you aren't getting pressure at the valve leads me to believe that the pump is bad.

OK, I finally got around to working on the wife's car... it was the pump, installed the new one and it fired right up.

Kinda weird that it worked fine one day and not a few weeks later.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread