'99 GT: 4.6L to 5.4L Swap?

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
I'm thinking about swapping my 4.6L to a 5.4L. I was wondering if any of you have done a swap like this, and if so, are the power gains worth the swap, or should I stick with the 4.6?

wildride02gt

Established Member
I have been debating this swap with myself for years. I was heavily involved in a thread focused mainly on this swap. Although it is not common, and the parts and knowledge are out there, it is still not cheap, easy, or necessarily a more powerful route. In the end, I personally have decided to go with a 4.6-based stroker build, with the new TFS heads. The 4.6 can now be bored and stroked to a 5.3, although most stay with the 4.9-5.1 area. A 2v 5.0 stroker with good heads and cams can make around 400HP, basically an equal to the new 5.0 motor. 4V 5.0 strokers have been built to 450-500hp.
Both these build examples are N/A, and have good torque, but can also be built to accept boost also.
Research the options, and if you have the time, money, and patience go for the 5.4 build. If not, the power is available out of 4.6L's properly built.

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
I know a guy who builds cars mainly for the strip, and he is selling a 5.4L block for $250 that came out of an F150. There isn't a single problem with my 4.6L, so I was thinking about keeping it stock and buying the 5.4 block, build the block from the ground up, then do the swap when everything is completed. I know it will take a while, but my engine is fine (just not as much power as I want) so I'm not in a huge hurry or anything.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
5.3 big bore/stroker will cost more, but would be a better choice. You can still use all the parts for 4.6 based cars and will probably be a lit less of a headache all around. 5.3, 11:1, decent cam from MHS, TF heads and intake. It'll make for a nasty NA car.

02blownGT

Established Member
Only N/A swaps i have been personally involved in the owners were very unhappy with the numbers.I wouldnt do it unless i was planning to run alot of boost.Theres really nothing you need the extra cubes for unless you want a max power build imo.

Stanger00

Established Member
If you run adapter plates for the PI intake manifold, stock PI heads, stock PI cams and just stab in the 5.4 you will only make around 270ish horsepower and 330-350 torque. Really the horsepower will be the same but torque gains will be huge.

Slap TFS heads, cams, HPS intake manifold and that should be good for 350-360 hp and a lot of torque. There is a massive link on another forum detailing the swap and the different setups that people have done. There still may be a connection for the much needed long tube headers these motors need to make the big N/A horsepower. However, it may be cheaper to just buy a junk yard aviator motor and slap some cams in that to make the same power.

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
I do plan on running a lot of boost.. Probably a centrifugal supercharger. HOWEVER.. I saw a video on YouTube last night of an '03 Cobra with a turbo pushing almost 1000 HP? Wtf..... 0.o

Here is the link to the video in case you are curious:
1000hp Turbo Cobra - YouTube

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
Ok... So, I know if I go with a 5.4L swap, I will basically have the same horsepower as my 4.6 (without any mods) but hella more torque.

My question now is would I be better off doing the 5.4 swap, or should I go with an '03-'04 Cobra motor instead?

Any input?

Users who are viewing this thread