99 contour with no keys.

Stevenhaggith

Established Member
ya so i broke my only key in half cant find the other half. ive called ford its going to be about 1200 bucks to have a full set of locks and a new ignition in. got ahold of one locksmith who says hes able to make me a key and that will be roughly 600 dollars. im poor as hell so i was wondering if you guys would have any other idea? :banana: HELP ME BOYS

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
600 is still alot. Look up streetkeyz.com or somethign along those lines. I ran into the same thing, for two keys and to get them program was like 300.

brapple

Established Member
well you can take a short cut yourself. pick up a used lock set from another contour and swap them out yourself.

you can then take the chip out of your broken key and put it into one of the new ones and you will be good to go.

do note since you have a 99 you need two working keys to program another. this is because of the newer pats system that is built into the pcm.

if you want both keys "programmed" you need to go to a dealer or find someone with the proper tools to go into the pcm and program the keys.

fyi, a lock set for the contour has been discontinued for a long time, iirc. I had my ignition cylinder fail a few years back and tried to get a new lock set. I ended up getting a used set and only replaced the ignition and doors. this way I have a different trunk key like the pre98 cars. But anyway the costs to have a dealer handle it seem high but not out of reason.

do note that you have to be able to operate the ignition to be able to remove it. Often drilling it out leads to problems and the whole steering column needs to be replaced. again get from a car that someone is parting out.

also you can get a lock set that doesn't use PATS keys. but then you will not be able to swap the chips as you will have to leave your key in the steerin column so that pats works.

Stevenhaggith

Established Member
so let me get this straight if i take the locks and ignition out of a regular 99 contour will i be able to switch them out than glue my chip onto the top of the new/old key and it will work?

brapple

Established Member
so let me get this straight if i take the locks and ignition out of a regular 99 contour will i be able to switch them out than glue my chip onto the top of the new/old key and it will work?

yup. the lock sets should be interchangeable for all years. I used the ignition cylinder from my 95 in my 99.

Get a lock set from a V6, then it will be a pats key and all you have to do is swap the chip in the key. that is if you have the half with the chip in it.

otherwise you will have to go to the dealer to have the "new" keys programmed.

Stevenhaggith

Established Member
i do have the chip still. so i have a cyldinder and lock set from a 97 se this will work? not sure if its a v6 or not. but aslong as i am able to attach the chip to the end it will work correct?

also has anyone seen a tutorial around on removing and replacing an ignition my dad has done it in other vehicles before and he will be helping me out but a guide is always nice.

brapple

Established Member
i do have the chip still. so i have a cyldinder and lock set from a 97 se this will work? not sure if its a v6 or not. but aslong as i am able to attach the chip to the end it will work correct?

also has anyone seen a tutorial around on removing and replacing an ignition my dad has done it in other vehicles before and he will be helping me out but a guide is always nice.

yes that lock set should work.

when I talk about the chip I am talking about getting another lock set that was from a V6 and therefore would have a PATs key. then you would swap the chip. if you get a non-pats lock set then just, for now, tape the key head to the antenna in the steering column. just be aware this makes pats useless as if the ignition can be turned the car will start.

Users who are viewing this thread